Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Title: Associate, Office of Access, Success, & Equity (ASE)
Department: Office of Access, Success, & Equity (ASE)
Primary Supervisor: Vice President, Access, Success, & Equity (ASE)
Staffing Level: Associate
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed as received with priority given to applications received by May 2, 2022.
The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) is seeking an Associate to provide administrative support to the Office of Access, Success, & Equity (ASE). The incumbent will perform a broad array of administrative tasks to ensure effective office and project operations including planning, scheduling, and logistics for conferences and meetings (virtual and in person); supporting office communications; record keeping; and overseeing the payment of invoices. The successful candidate will have excellent oral and written communications skills, be able to manage time and multiple projects efficiently, and possess organizational and planning skills with a keen attention to detail. This full-time, hybrid, position is based in Washington, DC. Employees of APLU must reside in DC, MD, or VA, be up-to-date with their COVID vaccinations and pass standard background checks.
Background on APLU
APLU is a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. With a membership of 244 public research universities, land-grant institutions, state university systems, and affiliated organizations, APLU's agenda is built on the three pillars of increasing degree completion and academic success, advancing scientific research, and expanding engagement. Annually, member campuses enroll 5.0 million undergraduates and 1.3 million graduate students, award 1.3 million degrees, employ 1.3 million faculty and staff, and conduct $49.5 billion in university-based research.
The Office of Access, Success, & Equity supports Minority Serving Institution needs as well as broader institutional diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging initiatives. The office engages APLU members through the Council of 1890 Presidents and the Commission on Access, Success, & Excellence.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the incumbent include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide general administrative support for the Office of Access, Success, & Equity (ASE), including scheduling meetings, notetaking, agenda management, processing expense reports/payment requests, reconciling credit card accounts, assisting with contract administration, etc.
• Coordinate the logistics, planning, and administrative aspects of the office’s conferences, meetings, and events (both virtual and in-person) including obtaining, reviewing, and evaluating hotel contracts, drafting/compiling meeting materials, etc.
• Draft, edit and send announcements and communications using an email marketing software (Marketo) as needed.
• Assist in the development of content and maintenance of webpages, including drafting and/or posting social media and blog entries as needed.
• Coordinate data management for ASE, including ensuring data is up to date in APLU’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system, and other databases and spreadsheets, processing CRM uploads; requesting reports from the CRM and reviewing them for accuracy as well as managing listservs as requests come in through the website.
• Draft and edit documents, emails, and other communications. Take and distribute meeting notes as needed.
• Manage general inboxes, ensuring that incoming emails are responded to appropriately and on a timely basis.
• Maintain positive relations with a diverse group of member university representatives through in-person, virtual, and email interactions.
• Participate as an integral member of the ASE Team and APLU employee, and contribute to an inclusive, welcoming, and collegial workplace.
• Perform other duties as requested.
• A bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional administrative support experience. Work experience at a college/university, a higher education organization, a non-profit organization, or a non-profit involved with higher education issues is a plus.
• Excellent communications skills, verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrated organizational skills. Ability to balance multiple, complex tasks and priorities, to resolve problems, to meet important deadlines, and to recognize potential issues and bring them to the attention of the appropriate team members.
• Experience planning and coordinating events, including workshops, webinars, and conferences.
• A keen attention to detail.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to navigate relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
• The ability to maintain poise, professionalism, focus, consistency, and accuracy under pressure.
• Experienced and skilled in the use of Microsoft office products, social media, Zoom, and web-based research and information tools. Experience using a customer relations management (CRM) system and databases a plus. Comfort using and learning new technologies.
• Demonstrated ability to work both as part of a team and independently, taking direction from and communicating with multiple team members to keep track of activities and priorities on multiple projects.
• Experience in, or with, a Minority Serving Institution (Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Predominately Black Institutions (PBIs), Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCUs), Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs), or Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institutions (AANAPISIs)) and/or commitment/interest in supporting diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in higher education broadly a plus.
• Commitment to the work of ASE and APLU.
• Ability to travel domestically as needed.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to APLU’s Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of ASE Associate. Applications will be reviewed as received, with priority given to completed applications received by May 2, 2022, and continue until the position is filled. APLU provides a generous benefits package.
APLU is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment and promoting a sense of belonging, which includes recruiting, employing, training, compensating and promoting staff regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.