Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
BRI Biosecurity Facility Technician
Department: 3670050040 Biosecurity Research Institute
Job no: 511410
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Facilities / Grounds / Skilled Trades
Pay Grade: 06B
About This Role:
The Biosecurity Research Institute (BRI) is seeking a Biosecurity Facility Technician. This position is specialized and dedicated to the BRI. This position performs in a preventive, predictive, and responsive manner to address sensitive infrastructure systems and equipment operations.
Carry out procedures and requirements to maintain complex equipment, systems, and facilities associated with BSL-3 and BSL 3Ag biocontainment. Includes approaches determined to prevent risks of exposure or release of infectious disease agents from loss of containment, participation in bio-risk management protocols, compliance with federally mandated laws for training, access, occupational medicine, and security related to Select Agents and mission of the BRI.
The successful candidate will operate, maintain, and monitor industrial building systems, components, and subcomponents critical to biocontainment performance and function.
Examples include; Infectious liquid and solid waste treatment systems, High-pressure steam-generating boilers (90-100 lbs., 6 boilers at 6 Million BTU's each), supply and exhaust air handling equipment (fans, drives, and belts), dual redundant water pumping stations, bio-seal doors, on-site chiller systems (3 units at 400 Teach), 2000 kW standby power generator, overhead crane rail, freezers, coolers, backflow prevention, etc.
Why Join Us:
The Biosecurity Research Institute (BRI) at Pat Roberts Hall on the Kansas State University Manhattan campus is a unique biocontainment research and education facility.
The BRI supports comprehensive multidisciplinary research, education and training programs that address threats to plant, animal, and human health, including food-borne pathogens. Home to 113,000 square feet of laboratory, education, and administrative space, this BSL-3, ABSL-3 and BSL3-Ag facility offers a diverse range of research and education opportunities.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Associates Degree in HVAC or other technical fields and three to five years of experience. (This position may use an educational equivalency as determined relevant by a hiring manager.)
• Previous experience working in high-performance facilities (bio-containment, nuclear, hospital, research, etc.)
• Experience using computer-based maintenance management systems
• Industrial Boiler or Chiller or HVAC operations experience/certificates
• Electrical or electronics experience
• Specialized coatings experience
• Relevant training certificates in facility trades
• Experience reading technical specifications and requirements for performing preventive maintenance activities
• Ability to pursue block mechanical license
• Experience in building industrial mechanical trades; electrical, electronics, plumbing, power plant operations, boiler operations, HVAC, electronic/pneumatic control troubleshooting and repair and general maintenance experience
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
• Ability to participate in rotating after hours on-call if/when necessary.
• Consent to and pass an initial basic criminal background check - refreshed every 3 years (condition of employment).
• Submit application for Security Risk Assessment approval through Department of Justice for Select Agent Program (condition of employment).
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Online application
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled. For best consideration, apply by October 10, 2021.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
$17.77 - $30.20 per hour ($36,965 - $62,822 annually)
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Sep 08, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled