Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EXTENSION (UME)
Title: Business Manager
Functional Title: Business Manager
Position Number: 103244
Category Status: Exempt, Regular (Category 33) Full time
Unit: AGNR-UME- Sea Grant
Home Office Location: Symons Hall, 7998 Regents Drive, College Park
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
This position provides support and information to the Assistant Director Natural Resource and Sea Grant Extension Program, University of Maryland Extension (UME) in the areas of Finance, Budget, Procurement, Hiring & Employment, and Human Resources. This position also provides fiscal, procurement and personnel support for UME faculty with grants exceeding $50,000. This position works closely with the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources Administrative Services and the Maryland Sea Grant College Program. This business manager works closely with other business managers and staff on the UME operations team.
· Monitor and reconcile accounts, using best management practices and basic accounting principles for budget management. Prepares and approves KFS transfers and procurement forms.
· Maintains program budgets, subawards, databases and other materials. Track all departmental accounts utilizing a shadow system and reconcile with system of record each month. Track all expenses by account.
· Assist with preparation of miscellaneous grant-related forms: sub-contracts, effort reports, cost-share worksheets. Assist faculty in preparing budget related information for grant proposals and renewals -provide cost projections for salary/fringes, operating expenses, etc.
· Prepare account quarterly reports for grant principal investigators and Program Leader.
· Act as point of contact to Office of Contract and Grant Accounting (OCGA) on budget issues.
· Process incoming payments through official systems. Prepare invoices as required.
· Manage purchasing requests from faculty. Using UMD guidelines, determine most appropriate means of purchase Ensure all purchases conform to sponsored project guidelines. Reconcile vendor invoices and credit card statements. Respond to any audits on the purchasing card or travel card.
· Responsible for the creation/adjustment of appointments; create (Payroll and Human Resources) PHR (electronic payroll/human resources system) monitor and maintain time records and adjustments; retro-pay; leave pay outs, etc. ... Respond to all inquiries for personnel information. Maintain and manage appropriate financial and personnel records.
· Attend monthly (Agricultural and Natural Resources) AGNR Fiscal Officers Meetings and inform/advise UME faculty and staff on University and AGNR policies/procedures/issues.
· Attends monthly UME operations team meetings.
· Attend other appropriate meetings and trainings as needed; e.g. travel, procurements, PHR, Kuali, etc.
· Initiate eTerp postings, processes new employee paperwork and creates PHR appointments, prepares employment contracts and renewals; tracks renewal timelines
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and/or Finance or related field
· At least three years progressively responsible experience working in a business office in a combination of budgeting, accounting, payroll, purchasing, and human resources.
· Working knowledge of management principles and accounting practices.
· Analytical skills to review expenditures and reconcile accounts.
· Competent skills in math and computer programs, including Excel.
· Effective verbal and written communication abilities.
· Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and tact.
· Ability to work minimal supervision.
· Ability to multi-task, be detail-oriented, have follow-through, and be a team player.
· Understanding of College and University procedures and policies.
· Evidence of capacity to build UME Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Respect capacity through Extension program model.
· This position is subject to a Criminal History Record Check and University of Maryland Background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of the Criminal History Record Check.
· Master’s degree in Accounting and/or Finance or related field
· Experience and expertise in utilizing accounting and financial procedures systems in a University setting.
Physical Demands of the Position:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Nature of the Position: This position frequently presents information through vocal and written communication to individuals of various ages, socio-economic, and educational backgrounds.
• Physical Demands: A routine part of this position's responsibilities would be to transport materials to and from teaching and event locations, including loading and unloading the vehicle. The employee will frequently lift and/or move items weighing up to 20 pounds. Set-up and teardown of displays, tables, and chairs would be necessary at many teaching sites.
• Environmental: Team driven, office environment of professional character, competence, and collaboration. Deadline driven in terms of program planning and reporting. This position requires the employee to work outdoors at certain times of the year, especially during the time field research, demonstrations, and meetings are conducted as well as annual county fair. This may occur during very hot and/or inclement weather.
• Visual Acuity: Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data and presentations.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience with a salary range of $56,360 – $70,450. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/95420. A complete application packet includes a letter of application, a current (signed) curriculum vitae, copies of transcripts (official transcripts will be required if offered the position), and three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Closing Date: For best consideration, apply by 06/11/2022 or until an acceptable candidate is identified.
The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.