The Provost/Executive Vice President serves as the #2 position in the Colorado State University Administration, serves on the President’s Executive Leadership Team and serves as the institution’s Chief Academic Officer. This position reports directly to the president and works in concert with the president, deans, vice presidents and the campus community to strengthen the university’s reputation as an internationally recognized land-grant institution of higher education with the highest Carnegie ranking (Doctoral University: Very High Research Activity).
Description of Work Unit
This work unit exists to provide academic vision and leadership to fulfill the land-grant mission of Colorado State University. To chart CSU’s course to the forefront of excellence, the Office will articulate, communicate, and facilitate the development of fundamental values basic to the University’s mission and administer academic programs and policies with the utmost respect for and attention to our constituent’s needs.
Required Job Qualifications
- Substantial academic leadership experience at a Carnegie Classified R1 Doctoral – Very High Research Activity University;
- Experience and success in managing a complex organization including people, resources, and an operating budget;
- Demonstrated commitment to academic excellence and student success;
- Personal and professional commitment to diversity and inclusion demonstrated by persistent effort, active planning, allocation of resources and/or accountability for diversity outcomes;
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively and collaboratively with multiple constituencies through a model of shared governance;
- Demonstrated ability to translate ideas and visions into action;
- Demonstrated ability to lead change through effective communication, collaboration with stakeholders, vision, flexibility and decisiveness;
- Demonstrated commitment to the tripartite mission of the land-grant system of education, research and outreach/engagement;
- Be a faculty member at a research university with a distinguished record of achievement and professional credentials consistent with appointment at the rank of Professor with tenure;
- A Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Evidence of operational leadership characterized by excellence, growth and financial effectiveness;
- Experience at a land-grant institution;
- Substantial experience as a dean or university-wide administrator;
- Demonstrated experience in supporting faculty and student success initiatives;
- Familiarity with the promotion and tenure process for different types of university faculty members;
- Willingness to serve as strong partner for inclusion, understanding that an inclusive culture requires all parts of the organization to be inclusive;
- Strategic, visionary, and innovative thinker with demonstrated interest in interdisciplinary programs at both undergraduate and graduate levels;
- Experience in fundraising campaign planning and priority setting, with an emphasis on incentivizing faculty involvement and promoting interdisciplinary collaborations;
- Demonstrated commitment to global engagement across the teaching, research, and outreach mission of a land-grant university;
- Demonstrated ability to use the Office of the Provost to create programs that support deans, department heads, and unit leaders in recruiting outstanding new faculty and staff, as well as retaining and promoting the university’s outstanding faculty and staff;
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit.
Personal and professional commitment to diversity and inclusion as demonstrated by involvement in teaching, research, creative activity, service to the profession and/or diversity/inclusion activities.