Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Cottonwood District Family and Community Wellness Extension Agent
Department: 3670035290 Ext Agents - Central Region
Job no: 512995
Employment type: Extension Agent / Educator
Location: Hays, Kansas
Categories: Health Profession, Nutrition, Extension Agent / Educator, Family & Consumer Sciences, Adult Development, Food Systems, Family Finance
Pay Grade: 001
About This Role:
The Cottonwood Extension District is comprised of Barton and Ellis Counties. The district has a combined population of 54,332. This part of the state is noted for its oil production, as well as manufacturing and diversified farming and livestock operations. The district is home to Fort Hays State University and Barton Community College. The Family and Community Wellness agent will establish a working relationship with community coalitions and develop educational programs that target policy systems and environment work. The goal of programming is to help families improve their quality of life. Seven agents and several support staff serve the district. The position will be located in the Hays office.
Extension agents are community based faculty of Kansas State University who make a difference by connecting community needs with university resources. Agents are administratively responsible to the local extension director and the local extension board.
This position will provide primary leadership for the development and implementation of research-based educational programming to build healthy, sustainable communities, families, and individuals. Programming will be conducted with volunteers, as well as other community vitality and family and consumer sciences professionals at the local, regional, and state level. Programming may include but is not limited to: strengthening families and individuals, building community capacity, family and community health and wellness, and local volunteer development.
Primary Area of Responsibility:
Family and Community Wellness programming
Offices in Hays and Great Bend, KS. Primary office located in Hays, KS.
Extension agents are professional educators who serve as a link between Kansas State University and communities across Kansas. Agents are administratively responsible to the Director of K-State Research and Extension (represented by a designated administrator) and the local extension board.
• Provide primary leadership for the development and implementation of research-based educational programming to build healthy, sustainable communities, families, and individuals. Programming will be conducted with volunteers, as well as other community vitality and family and consumer sciences professionals at the local, regional, and state level. Programming may include but is not limited to: strengthening families and individuals, building community capacity, family and community health and wellness, and local volunteer development.
• Share responsibility for the 4-H youth development programming related to Family and Community Wellness.
• Share responsibility for community vitality programming that helps our communities become better places to live, work, and play. Programming will strengthen the social, civic, economic, and technological capacity of communities through leadership development and civic engagement.
• Programming will include these steps:
• Identify local needs and emerging issues related to K-State Research and Extension's five Grand Challenges: (water, community vitality, health, developing tomorrow's leaders and global food systems) by engaging with program development committees and other community organizations and professionals.
• Design appropriate educational strategies to engage clientele. These strategies might include delivering educational programming in a community-based setting, coordinating events and activities that provide experiential learning opportunities, using innovative technologies, providing individual educational consultations and facilitating groups seeking similar educational outcomes. Some overnight travel and evening and weekend work will be required.
• Develop and implement strategies to expand the reach of educational programming to under-served audiences and to make certain K-State Research and Extension is an equal opportunity provider of educational programming.
• Collect and communicate evidence of educational program impact.
• Develop specialized knowledge and skills by engaging as a member of a Program Focus Team.
• Secure external funding such as grants, gifts and cost recovery to supplement local tax revenue to support and expand educational programming.
• Assist with support and supervision of the district's SNAP-Ed Nutrition Educator
• Serve as a member of the Cottonwood District's team cooperating in the planning and delivery of district-wide programming and related events.
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Bachelor's degree
• Academic coursework and/or professional employment related to the position responsibilities
• Evidence of strong academic and/or professional performance as documented by college transcripts, acceptance into a graduate program or documented success in increasingly responsible professional positions
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with individuals, groups and through mass media
• Leadership skills as evidenced by working with individuals, groups and co-workers
• Master's Degree
• Experience working with adults and youth from various ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds
• Commitment to personal professional development
• Ability to utilize electronic communication and computer applications to fulfill programming responsibilities
• Self-motivation and ability to work with a minimum of supervision, balancing multiple projects
• Ability to design, promote, implement and evaluate educational programs
• Skills in group facilitation
• Knowledge of adult and youth teaching/learning processes
• Experience in seeking and administering external grant funding
• Ability to communicate effectively with both English and Spanish learners.
• Access to a personal vehicle and the ability to obtain/maintain a valid driver's license
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
Salary, Benefits, and Professional Development:
• Salary commensurate with professional experience and available funding as negotiated by the regional extension director, the local extension board and the applicant. The base starting salary is $43,000 for a BS degree with no professional experience and $47,000 for a MS degree with no professional experience.
• Extension agents are Kansas State University educators and have the Board of Regents retirement plan, health and life insurance and vacation and sick leave. For a complete list of benefits see: http://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
• Reimbursement for travel related to achieving program objectives.
• New agents will be provided with comprehensive Early Career Professional Development training throughout their onboarding period. This series will include both virtual and in-person training and networking opportunities.
• Tuition assistance is available to full-time employees and their spouse/dependents
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Cover Letter (detailing experiences related to responsibilities and qualifications)
• Contact Information and Email addresses for three (3) professional references (include on application). References will be requested upon submission of application.
• Copy of academic transcripts showing degree(s) received. (For applicants still in college, a list of courses from the college/university website is acceptable.)
Screening of Applications Begins:
Applications will be accepted until June 01, 2022
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: May 04, 2022
Application Closes: Jun 01, 2022
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3054483