Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Dean, College of Behavioral and Health Sciences
Academic Support Service Provost
MTSU seeks candidates committed to innovative teaching, robust research/creative activity, and meaningful service. We also seek to attract a culturally and academically diverse faculty who value working with a diverse student body.
Salary commensurate with education and experience
Middle Tennessee State University seeks an accomplished, creative, and dynamic individual to lead the College of Behavioral and Health Sciences and invites applications for the position of Dean.
With an enrollment of 20,000 students, MTSU is the No. 1 producer of graduates for the Greater Nashville economy, has been identified by the Princeton Review as one of the Best 385 Colleges in the U.S. four years in a row, and is also the top destination for transfer students in Tennessee. MTSU embraces its roles as a major comprehensive university and as the destination of choice for Tennessee undergraduates while expanding its reach nationally and internationally through signature programs and select master's, specialist, and doctoral programs. MTSU students, faculty, and staff generate, preserve, and disseminate knowledge and innovation and collaboratively promote excellence through teaching, learning, research, creative activity, and public engagement. MTSU holds the Carnegie Doctoral University: High Research Activity and elective Community Engagement classifications.
The College of Behavioral and Health Sciences provides quality undergraduate and graduate education in Criminal Justice Administration, Health and Human Performance, Human Sciences, Nursing, Physician Assistant Studies, Psychology, and Social Work that prepare students for lifelong learning and service. A 91,000-square-foot Academic Classroom Building for the Behavioral Sciences opened in 2020.
The position begins no later than July 1, 2023. Expedited tenure will be considered at the time of appointment.
Responsibilities of the position include:
Terminal degree from an accredited institution in a represented discipline of the College
Three years of administrative experience in higher education at the level of a chair or above in a supervisory capacity. Must qualify for appointment at the rank of professor.
• Ongoing commitment to supporting excellence in teaching, growth in externally funded research and service programs, and scholarly inquiry as evidenced by a distinguished record of discipline-related and administrative accomplishments;
• Leadership and communication skills for effective, articulate advocacy for programs and activities of the College’s departments and schools, as well as teamwork and consensus among faculty and departments;
• Proven ability to foster and facilitate diversity, equity, and inclusion;
• Proven ability to marshal internal and external resources and organize faculty and external constituencies for implementation of College and University missions and strategic plans;
• Accomplishments that demonstrate knowledge of current and emerging trends in higher education and the behavioral and health sciences that support excellence for faculty, academic programs, and student success;
• Vision for and demonstrated ability to engage in partnerships with external constituencies to meet student and community needs in support of the University’s Carnegie Community Engagement classification and Academic Master Plan.
To successfully apply, applicants must include the following documents as separate attachments at the time of online application submittal: a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a statement of Teaching Philosophy, and a Research Statement or Creative Activities (as appropriate to the discipline).
If you need help applying, please contact the Faculty Recruitment Specialist at (615) 898-5128.
If you have position-specific questions, please contact David Butler at David.Butler@mtsu.edu.
MTSU offers a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to the following:
MTSU is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that values diversity in all its forms. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Proof of U.S. citizenship or eligibility for U.S. employment will be required prior to employment (Immigration Control Act of 1986). Clery Act crime statistics for MTSU are available at http://www.mtsu.edu/police/docs/2021AnnualSecurityReport.pdf or by contacting MTSU Public Safety at (615) 898-2424.
For individuals requiring a reasonable accommodation to apply: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with MTSU, please call 615-898-2929 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Review Date: 10/17/2022