You Belong at a University that’s Leading the Way
The University of Florida, ranked No. 6 best public university, is a major research institution that is leading the way by harnessing the power of artificial intelligence (AI) to solve some of the world’s most formidable challenges. The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (UF/IFAS) embraces that innovation as we utilize AI to deploy solutions in agriculture and natural resources that impact teaching, research and extension.
The Dean and Director leads and administers statewide programs of the Florida Cooperative Extension Service, a principal component of the University of Florida’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (UF/IFAS).
The roles and responsibilities of the Dean and Director are to:
- Provide vision and dynamic leadership appropriate to the mission of a comprehensive land-grant institution to address the challenges and opportunities associated with Florida’s diverse food and agricultural systems, natural resources, and sensitive ecosystems; changing and expanding human population; ongoing urbanization; and globalization of markets for agriculture and other products.
- Promote inclusion, diversity, equity and access (IDEA) initiatives for the recruitment, retention and development of faculty and staff.
- Work in a multi-disciplinary capacity with UF administrators and faculty; state and local leaders in agriculture, food, life sciences, and natural resources; industry, private organizations, and government agencies; and other institutions of higher education.
- Maintain close working relationships with federal and state agency partners, and state and county governments, including oversight of MOUs with county governments.
- Work cooperatively and serve as the primary liaison with Florida Sea Grant and the 1890 Extension Program at Florida A & M University.
- Lead and manage all aspects of the Florida Cooperative Extension Service, including fiscal responsibility, budget and salary management, and the hiring, placement, tenure, promotion, and permanent status of state and county faculty.
- Work closely with the UF/IFAS Dean for Research, the Dean of the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS), and the Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Work collaboratively with other UF Deans.
- Secure private endowments and increase extramural funding for Extension programs.
- Participate as an active member of the National Extension Directors and Administrators (NEDA) and the Association of Southern Region Extension Directors (ASRED).
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must have an earned doctorate or equivalent in a field relevant to the position and be qualified for an appointment at the rank of professor in a UF/IFAS department; experience as a faculty member at a land-grant university is highly desired.
- Must be able to show evidence of a strong commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity and access.
- Must be capable of leading Cooperative Extension with a strong vision and strategy for the future as Extension responds to the needs of a diverse clientele in the context of changing environments, needs, demographics, and funding.
- Must demonstrate a dedication to excellence in teaching, research, and extension.
- Must be able to support collaboration and recognize excellence across all UF/IFAS mission areas: teaching, research, and extension.
- Must be able to communicate the Extension mission to a variety of audiences and understand the changing nature of technology and digital communications and their role in delivering Extension programs.
- Administrative experience as a Chair, Director, Assistant Dean, Associate Dean, or Dean is highly desired.
Review of applications will begin on June 1, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled. Inquiries can be sent to Mercedes Swan, Manager for the Strategic Talent Group of University of Florida Human Resources at email@example.com