Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of News and Media Relations
The University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) seeks an experienced and innovative Director of News and Media Relations within the Office of University Marketing & Communications. Reporting to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, the Director is responsible for directing, developing, and implementing a full-service news and media relations strategy that supports the goals and objectives of the state’s flagship university. The professional in this position leads and supervises a team of writers and editors and directs daily media efforts, provides strategic media analysis for campus partners, and counsels leaders and colleagues across the campus on a range of media-related matters.
Candidates must have:
· A proven ability to develop, articulate and implement strategic, long-term content and media relations strategies that support the university’s goals and objectives.
· An established reputation for editorial leadership and development of creative content (news releases, feature stories and other print and/or digital communications pieces) across multiple channels.
· A strong track record of providing strategic media analysis as well as training and counsel to university leadership and other campus partners.
· Demonstrated skills and understanding of media training, press briefings, media events, media analytics, official statements and managing the approval process with internal stakeholders and partners.
· Demonstrated understanding of reputation and issues management as well as crisis communication.
· Prior experience preferred in serving as a spokesperson and primary contact for media outlets at local, state, national and international levels.
· The ability to work independently and within a team environment as well as the ability to collaborate with members of senior administration and other campus leaders.
· Excellent oral, written, presentation and interpersonal skills.
· A bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
· Minimum of five (5) years experience in media relations, news media, higher education or a related field.
This position is located on the University of Mississippi’s main campus in the beautiful town of Oxford, one hour southeast of Memphis. Often referred to as the “Cultural Mecca of the South,” Oxford is recognized widely as one of America’s best places to live. It has been home to many outstanding writers and, in recent years, it has become known for its award-winning chefs and restaurateurs.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled, or until an adequate applicant pool is established. The University of Mississippi is an EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Title VI/Title VII/Title IX/504/ADA/ADEA employer.
To apply, please visit http://careers.olemiss.edu. Only applicants who apply here will be considered.