Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Area Small Farms Extension Associate will work closely with northeastern North Carolina small farmers and Extension Agents. The position will work to assess and respond to the needs of limited-resource small farmers and extension agents of northeastern North Carolina in Bertie, Camden, Chowan, Currituck, Dare, Gates, Halifax, Hertford, Northampton, Martin, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Tyrrell, and Washington counties. The successful candidate will collaborate closely with commodity-oriented teams of research and Extension specialists and will be expected to develop and lead a nationally recognized Extension and applied research program on small farms and production in the northeastern Region of North Carolina. Extension responsibilities will focus on developing educational materials and programs for County Extension Agents, limited resource populations, small farmers, new and beginning small farmers, and other agribusinesses. The applied research program will focus on addressing relevant and practical issues facing North Carolina’s small farmers and align with the mission and vision of Cooperative Extension at N.C. A&T. This position provides training and technical assistance directed at enhancing the small farmer family’s quality of life and income through the adoption of appropriate technology, alternative enterprises, increased production for local markets, farm management, record keeping and diversified marketing strategies in the assigned area. This position will be housed in Currituck County.
- A Master’s degree from an accredited university in agricultural education, extension education, agricultural science, horticulture, animal sciences, or a related field is required.
- The ability to work independently without direct supervision.
- The ability to work and interact with diverse populations.
- The ability to lead applied research.
- Skills in leadership, communication, networking, budgeting, and public relations.
- Computer literacy (proficiency in MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Office)
- Strong oral and written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- The ability to network with community partners and agencies and maintain working relationships.
- The ability to handle multiple demands and set priorities.
- Valid Driver’s license and personal transportation.
- The ability to travel and work after hours/weekends as needed.
- Must be able to lift and carry training supplies and equipment needed for farm demonstrations and workshops.
Special Instructions to Applicant:
You must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application.
Applicants seeking Veteran’s Preference must attach a DD 214 form. Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty with your application during the process of applying to the job posting. Final candidates are subject to criminal and sex offender background checks.
North Carolina A&T State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
North Carolina A&T State University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. No one who applies or seeks employment will be denied admission to or employment at North Carolina A&T State University on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disabling condition, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or sexual orientation and sexual identity.