Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Working Title: Extension Educator, Agricultural Business Management (ABM)
Appointment: 100% Time, Assistant Extension Professor (9623), Professional & Administrative
Location: Extension regional office in Moorhead or Crookston, MN
Center/Program Area: Extension Center for Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources (AFNR)
Application Deadline: November 1, 2021, initial review deadline
The University of Minnesota Extension is a major outreach arm of the University of Minnesota, a land grant institution with a mission to serve the public through applied research and education. The mission of the University of Minnesota Extension is to make a difference by connecting community needs and University resources to address critical issues in Minnesota. https://extension.umn.edu/
ABOUT THE AGRICULTURAL BUSINESS MANAGEMENT TEAM
University of Minnesota Extension's agricultural business management team offers education and support to farm decision makers on farm management and marketing through workshops and software tools. The team works closely with the Center for Farm Financial Management (CFFM). CFFM develops applications and educational programs that provide educators, lenders, other professionals, and farmers resources to successfully manage farms and the financial activities related to farms and small businesses.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Extension Educator, Agricultural Business Management (ABM) position will be housed at either the Extension Regional Office in Crookston or Moorhead, Minnesota. Even though the position will be located at a specific regional office, the position serves a statewide programming area rather than a single region.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Extension Educator, ABM brings in-depth expertise to cutting-edge issues, applying their expertise to the programs and priorities of the Center for Food, Agricultural, and Natural Resources within University of Minnesota Extension. The Educator is an integral part of the ABM team working with a wide Extension audience on educational topics such as risk management, financial management, strategic management, market planning, human resource management, business transfer and estate planning, resource acquisition, and policy impacts on Minnesota’s agricultural sector.
The Extension Educator employs appropriate educational program delivery systems including face-to-face presentations, technology-based methods, seminars, workshops, non-credit courses, and/or train-the-trainer approaches to educate farmers and other agricultural professionals. The Extension Educator is responsible for program development and delivery in cooperation with other ABM team members, campus-based faculty and partners in the agricultural industry.
Commitment to diversity and inclusion, use of scholarly scientific research, effective partnership development, use of technology and continuing professional development are important to successful job performance. The Extension Educator may occasionally work in collaboration with University faculty and graduate students on applied research. This position is accountable to the Program Leader(s) in Agricultural Business Management for program direction, performance evaluation and personnel actions.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS
· Develop and deliver a high quality, outcome-focused Extension educational program for farmers, agricultural professionals, and other agricultural and rural businesses
· Work on interdisciplinary teams, utilize existing expertise at the University, to analyze business management strategies for farmers and other agricultural and rural businesses
· Conduct market research, design, develop, deliver/implement, market, and evaluate educational programs based on scholarly/scientific theory and research and appropriate to their audiences in conjunction with ABM and other Extension teams
· Work with and develop programs for new, diverse, and historically underserved audiences
· Develop and maintain effective state, regional, industry, and university partnerships that further the development and delivery of Extension educational programs
· Use appropriate technology for communication, locating information and resources, program design, program delivery, and reporting
· Assume program leadership on specific programs, projects, or priorities, as agreed to by the Program Leader(s).
· Collaborate with campus-based faculty in conducting scholarly research
· Continue professional development in scholarship, program development and delivery via conferences, additional graduate work, self-directed study and/or other appropriate means.
· Participate and succeed in progress regarding professional performance including the systems of annual performance review, professional plan of work and promotion
· Make contributions to the six promotion categories in Extension academic rank criteria, program leadership, extension teaching, scholarship, engagement, program management and service
· Education: Master’s degree at time of appointment in agricultural economics, agricultural business management, finance, or related discipline
· Experience: Knowledge of and ability to explain farm business management concepts and tools including, but not limited to: risk management, financial management, strategic management, market planning, human resource management, business transfer and estate planning, resource acquisition, and policy impacts on Minnesota’s agricultural sector
o Evidence of excellent oral and written communication skills
o Technology-enhanced communication and teaching skills
o Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, partners and stakeholders (e.g., policy makers, program participants and industry groups)
· Valid driver's license and own means of transportation with required liability insurance.
· Personal cell phone that can be used, as needed, for work purposes and published in the Extension public staff directory.
· Must have reliable internet if/when working outside of assigned office location.
· Must be able to travel within the designated communities and provide in-person programming.
o Three or more years’ experience in a field related to the position
o Experience designing, delivering and evaluating educational programs in agricultural business management
o Experience with varied and diverse clientele and audiences
o Experience designing, conducting, and/or providing an essential role in research projects
o Experience using technology in educational programming
o Experience and/or academic specialization related to farming and other agricultural and rural businesses