Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension and Merrimack County invite qualified individuals to apply for the Merrimack County Economic Development Field Specialist position based in Boscawen, New Hampshire. The Field Specialist will provide educational outreach, technical assistance, community planning, and project implementation support that builds community and regional leaders’ capacity to implement effective strategies to grow and sustain the economy and strengthen communities. Areas of focus include, but are not limited to, economic development, cultivating entrepreneurial communities, Main Street/downtown revitalization, business retention and expansion, regional collaboration, and stakeholder engagement in community plans and projects. The position will be supervised by the program team leader for Community and Economic Development on matters related to (a) performance and job responsibilities, (b) developing effective external working relationships with clientele groups, other agencies, departments, and organizations, (c) professional development and (d) planning and reporting. The position will necessitate collaboration with staff across the Community and Economic Development program team, as well as other program teams, including Natural Resources and Food and Agriculture. This is a full-time, benefited position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Programming, planning and support
· Collaborate on the development and implementation of new outreach programs and educational resources focused on sustaining and growing local and regional economies.
· Assist with and lead implementation of programs focused on economic development, business retention and expansion, Main Street revitalization, tourism and outdoor recreation, entrepreneurial development, and workforce development in partnership with UNH Extension colleagues, statewide collaborators, and UNH resources.
· Contribute to community and economic development efforts in Merrimack County and the region by providing planning, technical, and project assistance to communities, community development groups, and regional coalitions.
· Provide education and technical support to decision-makers regarding economic data and trends to inform decision-making (e.g., downtown market analysis, economic impact analysis, etc.).
· Educate community and economic development practitioners, community leaders, and volunteers so they have the skills to implement effective economic development strategies.
· Develop tools and information resources—including data—that support decision-making by community and regional decision-makers.
Additional duties and responsibilities
· Engage diverse audiences in Merrimack County, including New Americans and socioeconomically disadvantaged populations.
· Participate in program planning with the Community and Economic Development Team.
· Provide timely data for UNH Cooperative Extension’s program evaluation and reporting.
· Participate in staff meetings—including program team meetings, county staff meetings, and county advisory council meetings—as well as other program activities as appropriate.
· Keep accurate, complete, and timely work records and reports.
· Assume responsibilities for travel within the state and at appropriate national conferences.
· Serve as the UNH Cooperative Extension County Office Administrator, if the need is identified.
· Other duties as assigned
· Master’s degree in a field such as community/economic development, tourism, recreation management, regional planning, or a related discipline with three years of professional experience in community and economic development. A strong candidate with a B.S. level degree in relevant discipline with experience may be considered if they are willing to obtain a master’s degree within seven years of hire.
· Knowledge of effective community and economic development strategies and approaches.
· Experience working with community/regional leaders on community development, economic development, recreation/tourism, and/or community/regional planning.
· Demonstrated ability to convene stakeholders and facilitate community, organizational, or regional planning processes.
· Demonstrated ability to convey basic community and economic development principles—and data—to the general public, community practitioners, business audiences, and local government officials.
· Ability to teach and communicate ideas effectively verbally, in writing, and through educational technology.
· Ability to work productively with indirect supervision.
· Ability to work collaboratively; ability to take responsibility to help team efforts succeed.
· Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills in a team setting; ability to manage conflict.
· Demonstrated willingness to learn on an ongoing basis.
· Ability to adapt to changing programming and workplace priorities.
The University System of New Hampshire is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action employer. The University System is committed to creating an environment that values and supports diversity and inclusiveness across our campus communities and encourages applications from qualified individuals who will help us achieve this mission. The University System prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status, genetic information, and political orientation. Application by members of all underrepresented groups is encouraged. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the U.S.