Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fellow (Post Doc)
Department: 3670010110 Plant Pathology
Job no: 511401
Employment type: Post Doc (Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Agriculture, Research / Scientific / Grants, Natural / Quantitative Sciences, Plant Sciences
Pay Grade: 001
About This Role:
The Kansas State University Department of Plant Pathology in Manhattan, Kansas is seeking applicants for a postdoctoral fellow position with a focus on rapid diagnostic techniques. The candidate will be responsible for projects characterizing genotypic and phenotypic diversity for the pathogens that cause common bunt and dwarf bunt of wheat (Tilletia controversa, Tilletia laevis, and Tilletia tritici) along with related species. The candidate will develop accurate, rapid molecular diagnostic tools that can be deployed in a grain inspection environment.
Specific duties include:
• Independently designing experiments to assess the genotypic and phenotypic diversity for the pathogens that cause common bunt and dwarf bunt of wheat (Tilletia controversa, Tilletia laevis, and Tilletia tritici) along with related species. This work will require experience working with fungi in the laboratory and with plants under controlled environmental conditions.
• Working with Next Generation Sequencing data and associated bioinformatics tools to aid in the development of nucleic acid-based diagnostic tools (qPCR) for fungal species in question.
• Preparing scientific manuscripts reporting research outcomes and interpretations. Attending scientific conferences to present research findings to the scientific community.
The successful candidate should be prepared to work in a collaborative team environment, and be willing to participate in other field and lab projects. This individual will also help mentor graduate and undergraduate students.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Ph.D. in plant pathology, microbiology, or related field
• Laboratory experience working with fungi and controlled environment plant assays
• Experience working with Next Generation Sequencing data and associated bioinformatics tools
• Experience developing nucleic acid-based diagnostic tools (PCR, qPCR)
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multidisciplinary team
• Experience working with tools such as recombinase polymerase amplification (RPA) and loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)
• Experience with population genetics techniques and software packages
• Experience with plant disease diagnostics
• Demonstrated peer-reviewed publication record
• Experience mentoring graduate and undergraduate students
• Experience with programming languages, such as R or Python
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Cover letter
• Contact information for 3 professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. For best consideration, apply by September 25, 2021
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
$47,500 - $49,500
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Sep 09, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2491166