Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Fellow (Post Doc)
Department: 3670010040 Agronomy
Job no: 510077
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Agriculture, Research / Scientific / Grants, Crop Production, Agronomy, Plant Sciences
Pay Grade: 001
About This Role:
The Agronomy Department at Kansas State University seeks a post-doctoral Fellow position to support research efforts related to the Farming Systems team. The applicant for this position will be part of a large, multi-university, collaborative consortium focused on developing digital tools with the regional focused in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa. The applicant will be a critical part of a consortium funded by USAID-SIIL lab, Digital Tools, Geospatial and Farming Systems Consortium. A successful applicant should have familiarity with geospatial data and an ability to develop and use geospatial resources drawn from a variety of sources including remote sensing, global map products, and point biophysical data. This includes knowledge of crop simulation models, remote sensing, GIS, spatial statistics, data analytics, expertise in coding (data science), or related areas. Duties: The individual will receive, collect and analyze different types of data, such as satellite imagery, crop physiology, soil and weather data, among others. The person on this position is expected to perform statistical, spatial analysis and crop modeling, summarize data and write reports, both for academia and extension. In addition, the person will also assist and coordinate the work of graduate students from different teams within the Consortium and the partner Countries. Active participation and delivery of training sessions, and presentations for academia and extension. The incumbent will assist in the publication of research and extension results in appropriate media (newsletter, popular press, and refereed journals).
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Ph.D. degree in agronomy, geography, environmental science, biosystems engineering, statistics, computer information systesm, or similar discipline by start date.
• Excelent computer, data and statistical skills. Strong competency with R, Python, GitHub, ArcGIC/QGIS, GEE, Cloud computing and Systems modeling (APSIM, DSSAT).
• Knowledge on field crops, field research.
• Demonstrated experience working with remote sensing images from multiple sensors.
• Demonstrated experience working on crop modeling (APSIM, DSSAT, etc.).
• Demonstrated written and oral communications skills, peer-reviewed journals, extension articles, presentations, etc.
• Demonstrated interest and ability to perform on field and online trainings for people with different levels of education and different backgrounds.
• Demonstrated ability to interact/ coordinate multidisciplinary and large teams, with different levels of education and background.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Cover letter
• Contact information of three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled. For best consideration, apply by April 7, 2021.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
$47,476 - $53,738 annually.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Mar 23, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2725329