Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Fellow (Post Doc)
Department: 3670010110 Plant Pathology
Job no: 512022
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Plant Sciences
Pay Grade: 001
About This Role:
The Plant Biosecurity lab in the Department of Plant Pathology is seeking a postdoctoral researcher to conduct fundamental research on the Select Agent bacterium Rathayibacter toxicus. Working in a state-of-the-art BSL-3 biocontainment facility, the research will focus on horizontal gene transfer events with the potential to impact genome evolution.
• Independently design and conduct fundamental research on Rathayibacter toxicus and associated microorganisms with emphasis on genetic interactions impacting genome evolution.
• Focus on microbe-microbe interactions at colony, organismal, and molecular levels of complexity.
• Use a variety of technologies and simulated biofilm microcosms to identify genomic island transfer events and potential expression profiles that have the potential to alter the character of the Rathayibacter toxicus genome.
• Determine the phylo/biogeography of the recently described R. toxicus population, RT-1, and a recent outbreak population.
• Acquire and maintain an in-depth familiarity with all relevant literature and maintain the culture collection.
• Genome and phenotype characterization, including, nucleic acid sequence assembly, and bioinformatic analyses, e.g., comparative sequence analyses, phylogenetic and phylogeographic analyses, etc.
In addition to research, the successful candidate will gain a broad experience in biosecurity and also contribute, as a participant and as an instructor, to education and training workshops at the Biosecurity Research Institute.
• Prepare and deliver lectures and lead laboratory exercises.
• In collaboration with the PI and labmates, publish completed research in peer-reviewed journals (write and revise manuscripts.)
• Present research results at scientific meetings (invited and contributed posters and oral presentations at both in-person and virtual formats.)
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Ph.D. in plant pathology, microbiology, microbial ecology, or related field with experience in nucleic acid research (extraction, purification, sequencing, analysis, etc.), bacterial pathogens and phylogenetic analyses.
• Experience with one or more of the following is preferred: working knowledge of biofinformatics platforms and analytical programs, horizontal gene transfer, and microbial biofilms.
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Complete CV (to include education, professional experience, publications, etc.)
• Names and contact information for three professional references
• Short statement on how your experience is directly relevant to the position description
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled. For best consideration, apply by January 7th, 2023.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
$50,000-$55,000 per year
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Dec 23, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2736002
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.