Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Fellow (Post Doc) (Diagnostic Medicine / Pathobiology)
Department: 3670080040 Diagnostic Medicne Pathobiolog
Job no: 509059
Employment type: Post Doc (Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Research / Scientific / Grants, Veterinary Medicine
Pay Grade: 001
About this Role:
The Niederwerder Laboratory within the Department of Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology within the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Fellow (Post Doc). The purpose of this position is to develop and conduct ongoing research projects on swine viruses in BSL2 and BSL3 laboratories. Responsibilities include coordinating research experiments, performing and assisting others with laboratory assay techniques, and managing study animals.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
Duties / Responsibilities:
• Develop ideas and support collaborative research on viral diseases of swine.
• Design and implement research experiments, provide oversight for daily research activities in both BSL2 and BSL3 laboratories.
• Responsibilities include performing and developing molecular diagnostic assays, including techniques such as qPCR, cell culture, western blot, virus titration, IFA, protein expression in bacterial systems, immunological assays, pan-microbial array, DNA/RNA/peptide sequence alignment and analysis.
• Coordinate and manage the scheduling and daily activites during swine trials, including biological sample collection.
• Responsible for maintaining detailed laboratory notebook, organizing and managing data input, analysis and interpretation of data, developing and maintaining SOPs and compliance documents, and maintaining inventory.
• Leads and supports activities for enhancing research productivity through peer-reviewed publications and funding, such as literature reviews, identifying and reviewing requests for proposals, generating reports, writing grant proposals and contracts, and writing and reviewing manuscripts to disseminate new knowledge and tools resulting from research.
• Support the training of graduate students, undergraduates and related personnel on laboratory assays and animal study protocols as well as management of laboratory and training materials.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• Ph.D. degree in Virology or related fields
• At least 5 years experience in a molecular biology laboratory, have proficiency in molecular laboratory techniques, and demonstrated the ability to work independently
• Excellent oral and written communication skills are required as well as the ability to work within an interdisciplinary research team
• Have a significant publication record in high-impact peer-reviewed journals
• DVM in combination with the Ph.D.
• Experience in a BSL-3 or BSL-4 laboratory
• Experience working with African swine fever virus and porcine alveolar macrophages in cell culture
• Experience with swine including treating, handling and collection of biological samples
• Experience with microbiome characterization techniques
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 47,476 - $ 60,000 annual salary
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Oct 26, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2725354