Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Extension Field Specialist in Nutrition and Health - Adair County, Missouri
Please apply at https://hr.missouri.edu/job-openings
Job ID: 44324
MU TITLE: Assistant/Associate/Full Extension Professional
LOCATION: Kirksville, Missouri, and primarily serves Adair County and Putnam, Schuyler, and Sullivan Counties in the Northeast Region, with additional service across the state as needed.
The Nutrition and Health Specialist is responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating educational programs in nutrition, health, community health, food safety, food resource management, and physical activity promotion education for low-income audiences.
This position is a 12-month, ranked, non-tenure track appointment at the rank of assistant, associate, or full Extension Professional. Rank will be determined at the time of appointment based on qualifications and experience in accordance with the MU Extension faculty standards. This position will hold a working title of Field Specialist in Nutrition and Health.
As a Field Specialist, your workload distribution at appointment will be 90% Extension Teaching and 10% Traditional Service.
This appointment is renewable annually at the discretion of the University and workload distribution may change at the discretion of Extension leadership. Circumstances affecting continued employment include, but are not limited to, work performance, fund availability, and educational priorities.
CORE DUTIES OF MU EXTENSION SPECIALISTS
MU Extension Specialists deliver the University of Missouri to all Missourians. They serve all Missourians by bringing research-based solutions to work on local problems. MU Extension Specialists teach new and foundational concepts, link people to resources, support partner organizations, participate in research, train volunteers, evaluate programs, foster innovation, and serve communities. MU Extension Specialists work as a team to expand educational attainment, foster economic development, and improve health outcomes. These core duties fall into three major areas:
Educate, Create, and Connect.
● Educate. MU Extension specialists design, conduct, and evaluate educational programs. MU Extension specialists teach research-based information via meetings, in-person and online courses, continuing education classes, technical assistance, volunteer training, media, websites, consultation, and other educational methods. They provide inclusive educational programs that support the individual, organizational, and community goals of Missouri’s diverse learners and clients.
● Create. MU Extension specialists develop innovative and research-informed educational products, services, materials, and other scholarly works. These include curricula, publications, presentations, educational tools, websites, and similar resources. MU Extension specialists obtain and use extramural funding to support creative works. MU Extension specialists contribute to the scholarship of Extension and Engagement by evaluating programs that result in learning and behavior changes that impact individuals and communities.
● Connect. MU Extension specialists engage with learners, stakeholders, volunteers, and communities, including county extension councils, government officials and agencies, partners, and University and professional organizations. MU Extension specialists listen and respond with care. MU Extension specialists intentionally foster diversity, equity, and inclusiveness via engaged partnerships and robust connections to the wide array of programs offered by the whole University of Missouri System.
● Engage with stakeholders in all coverage counties to identify educational needs and then collaborate with appropriate internal and external partners to meet those needs.
● Create an annual plan-of-work that reflects local needs and aligns with statewide program area efforts. Provide a monthly report to county extension councils, supervisors, county commissioners and others, regarding programmatic efforts. Attend at least one county extension council each month and provide an oral update on program efforts at that meeting.
● Collaborate with campus-based specialists on research projects and then deliver findings from those efforts via demonstrations, field days, courses, workshops, consultations, publications, and appropriate media.
● Effectively work with supervisors, other specialists, and local leaders to complete administrative tasks as needed.
● Demonstrate competency in communication, educational programming, subject matter knowledge, inclusivity, equity, educational delivery, volunteer management, grant acquisition, teamwork, interpersonal relations, organization knowledge, leadership, and professionalism.
● Offer timely, research-based information during times of natural disasters or similar events.
● Represent the University of Missouri on boards and committees as assigned.
● Participate in professional development events to improve both technical and leadership skills.
● Conduct all activities per the Civil Rights Acts, Title IX, Rehabilitation, Americans with Disabilities Act, and local, state, and regional affirmative action plans.
● Other duties and responsibilities as assigned to support the mission of MU Extension.
● MU Extension Specialists travel regularly throughout Missouri and occasionally to out-of-state locations. MU Extension requires specialists to have a valid Missouri driver’s license, a legally operating vehicle, and wireless telephone/data service for University use. MU Extension specialists receive reimbursement for approved travel expenses, per University of Missouri policy.
● MU Extension programs often occur outside of normal business hours. MU Extension Specialists should expect to attend these events as needed, to meet the needs of learners, clients, and stakeholders.
MU EXTENSION LEADERSHIP RECEIVED
The Senior Program Director for Nutrition, Health & Family provides overall programmatic leadership. Programmatic supervision comes from the Education Director for the Nutrition, Health & Family Program Area and administrative oversight from the Regional Director for the Northeast Region.
MU EXTENSION INFORMATION
The University of Missouri (MU) Office of Extension and Engagement’s distinct land-grant mission is to improve lives, communities, and economies by producing relevant, reliable, and responsive educational strategies throughout Missouri. Our dedicated and knowledgeable specialists and staff collaborate with researchers and community leaders to develop and deliver programs that address the needs of Missourians, including educational attainment, economic development, and healthy people. For more information about MU Extension and Engagement, please visit https://extension.missouri.edu/.
The University of Missouri, also known as Mizzou and MU, is the Flagship University of the four-campus University of Missouri System. It is one of the state’s land-grant universities. MU’s comprehensive undergraduate programs and its graduate, professional, and research programs attract an annual enrollment of more than 30,000 students. MU Extension and Engagement programs are located on all four campuses and in 114 counties and St. Louis city.
An earned master’s or other applicable terminal degrees in nutrition, dietetics, health, exercise physiology, food science or related area with appropriate coursework exhibited is required at time of appointment.
Candidates must demonstrate they are authorized to work in the United States at time of hire. Sponsorship of U.S. temporary employment visas will not be offered for this position.
Candidates will be evaluated on:
Demonstrated ability to translate research into educational programs in nutrition, health, food science, and physical activity promotion for audiences of all age groups is critical.
Ideal candidates will also have successful experiences in youth and/or adult education.
Effective and innovative teaching strategies that engage others, including strong listening, written, and oral communication skills
The ability to integrate new and emerging technology into teaching strategies
Experience designing, conducting, and evaluating educational programs, and applying research-based knowledge in subject matter areas related to community cooperation and collaboration, capacity assessment and action planning, needs assessment, citizen participation, leadership, resource management, and volunteerism.
Complete the brief online application and be prepared to upload:
• Cover Letter
• Copies of all academic transcripts, and
• a list of 3-5 references
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff, and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery, and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations, or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Disability Inclusion and ADA Compliance Manager at 573-884-7278. EEO IS THE LAW
Extension Field Specialist in Nutrition and Health – Adair County, Missouri
Please apply at https://hr.missouri.edu/job-openings
Job ID 44324