Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Department: 3670009200 Department of Housing & Dining
Job no: 511113
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Regular), Staff Part Time (Unclassified - Regular)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Executive / Director / Management, Dining / Hospitality
Pay Grade: 10A
About This Role:
The General Manager will have managerial responsibilities for Union Station by JP's (a full-service restaurant), Fast Track (fast-casual concept) operations, and catering services. This unique hospitality position offers an exciting opportunity to develop and coach a team primarily consisting of full-time professionals and college student staff while also providing a great work/life balance that allows for time away from work during the academic breaks and holidays. This position is responsible for providing exceptional food and service to the K-State campus and local community.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• PEOPLE MANAGEMENT! Recruit, train, develop, supervise and schedule a diverse staff of more than 30 including service staff, cashiers, and cooks. Provide coaching, positive leadership, and support to staff, fostering a goal-oriented team environment. Effectively interact with staff to promote positive morale, a safe and healthy work environment, and to develop and foster opportunities for employee development.
• Provides operational planning and management of all food production and procurement. Ensures quality, consistency, and availability of products being ordered, stocked, and sold. Sets par levels, maintains and conducts inventory. Develops purchasing and delivery procedures.
• Oversees the development, implementation, and execution of all food and beverage menus. Maintains production efficiencies, product sourcing, and keeps the overall customer experience at the forefront.
• Collaborates with fiscal staff to develop and apply systems for fiscal control and financial reporting. Maintains food and labor cost controls. Review and monitor labor costs. Ensure proper costing of menu items, catering functions, and special events.
• Maintains the highest standards for fiscal compliance. Develops and maintains ongoing culinary and sanitation training for staff. Ensures adherence to food safety and sanitation guidelines as well as safe work practices and procedures.
Why Join Us:
http://housing.k-state.edu/ is a large, self-operated auxiliary department serving more than 4,000 students that call the K-State campus home. This "home away from home" meets more than the basic needs of students living with us — we provide affordable, safe, and engaging accommodations for our residents, while finding unique ways to support them in their academic pursuits.
As part of the department's commitment to students, the campus, and local community, retail offerings include Union Station by JP's (a full-service restaurant), Fast Track (fast-casual concept), Union Station by JP's on-site provided catering services, JP's Sports Grill, Cornerstone cafes, Quik Cats Convenience Stores, Overtime Grill at Kramer, and The Bakery at Derby.
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent culinary arts certification and three years of relevant experience (This position may use an educational equivalency as determined relevant by a hiring manager.)
• Five years of progressive professional leadership experience in the hospitality field; prior experience as General Manager, Assistant Manager, Executive Chef or Chef de Cuisine in charge of food production and/or service in a quality food service operation
• Experience in a university volume foodservice setting or other large volume operation (hotel or convention center, volume restaurant/catering operation) with demonstrated ability to coordinate food production, menu/recipe development and design
• Experience interacting with patrons and the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with customers
• Knowledge of cost controls including payroll and food
• Outstanding communication skills including interpersonal communication, writing, and public speaking, and presenting, teaching and instruction
• Ability to work with a diverse population
• Excellent leadership and coaching skills
• Proficiency in basic computer applications, menu management software (Computrition preferred) and Micros POS
• Writing, implementing, and assuring continued adherence to standard operating procedures
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
• Ability to work variable work hours including evenings and weekends
• Must be 21 years of age at time of appointment
• Must obtain ServSafe certification within 60 days of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents as one PDF:
• Cover letter addressing qualifications and interest
• Names and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
$50,490-$63,000 per year
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Jul 15, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2373630