Working Title: Human Resources Director
Classification: HR Manager 3 – Generalist, Job Code 9363GT
Appointment: Full-time, Academic Professional & Administrative, Exempt
Office location: Coffey Hall, St. Paul Campus
Reports to: Dean and Director of Extension
Apply By: August 12, 2020 initial application deadline; Position open until filled
University of Minnesota Extension (Extension) is the major education outreach arm of the University of Minnesota. Extension is committed to delivering high quality, research based education programs and information to Minnesota citizens and communities. Complete information about Extension can be found at www.extension.umn.edu. Extension partners with other University collegiate units to deliver research-based educational programs, conduct applied research and scholarship and collaborate with relevant external partners to address critical issues in Minnesota. Extension educational programs and applied research are organized and delivered through four Extension Centers: Community Vitality; Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources; Youth Development; and, Family Development.
About the position:
The Human Resources Director is responsible for providing strategic leadership, planning, development, coordination, implementation and oversight of human resources programs and services in Extension. The director works in partnership with Extension administration, center leadership, and units to develop and implement comprehensive human resources programs for all of Extension that ensure excellent human resource management and development principles are promoted. The director’s responsibilities include overall leadership in the areas of human resources planning; employee and labor relationships; prioritize equity, diversity and inclusion; talent acquisition and retention; education, training, development and mentoring; performance evaluation systems; and compensation. The director will create and implement strategic and tactical policies and processes for the human resources function of Extension. The director will work collaboratively with the University’s Office of Human Resources to ensure that Extension’s efforts are aligned with University-wide human resources policies, programs and strategic initiatives. The director leads and manages the human resources professional staff and works in close partnership with the University's central offices. The director reports to the Dean and Director of Extension, and is a key member of the college-wide administrative team.
Strategic Leadership – 40%
- Lead the assessment, development, and implementation of short-term and long-term HR strategies and goals, including anticipating emerging issues that will affect policy and programming within Extension.
- Develop long-term HR strategies to increase recruitment, retention and equity of diverse employees within Extension.
- Continuously improve the development of and lead a forward-thinking, client-oriented, human resources organization for Extension.
- Collaborate with Extension leadership to advance strategic directions to facilitate and manage change and ensure compliance with HR policies and laws.
- Establish and implement HR best practices.
- Provide oversight of the Safety of Minors Policy within Extension.
- Develop strategies, sponsor key initiatives to promote, and achieves a culture of service, excellence and employee engagement.
- Plan, create, implement, provide training on, and communicate University, Extension HR and Federal benefits policies and procedures within Extension.
- Collaborate with Extension’s finance office to manage procedures that affect both units such as payroll actions, position budgeting, and annual merit salary increase processes.
- Provide strategic analysis to identify root problems, employee impacts, and purpose solutions in the areas of equity, diversity, and inclusion and human resources across Extension.
- Lead the HR departmental budget including setting priorities, ensuring responsiveness to the overall organization, and overseeing implementation of Central and Extension HR initiatives.
- Oversee and execute HR operations within Extension, to include HR consulting, FMLA/ADA, annual reviews, HRMS, payroll, Federal benefits, ROC/REPA, HR data analysis and reporting, EOAA, HR communications.
- Build and maintain networks and relationships within Extension, the University, National Extension collegiate partners, labor/management committees, and consultative committees.
Workforce Planning, Compensation, Performance Management and Engagement 40%
- Provide leadership, guidance and training to HR staff, Extension centers and units on labor and employee relations issues. The scope of employee relations includes labor-represented groups, civil service, and professional academic staff.
- Provide advice and expertise on evaluating appropriate starting salaries and salary increase requests, ensuring internal equity and competitive compensation.
- Develop and implement policies and practices related to job family studies and compensation, including special pay situations for promotions, augmentations, bonuses and retention offers.
- Oversee or conduct investigations into employee/supervisor complaints and advise leadership on response to complaints and resolution of conflict, performance issues, or disputes.
- Collaborate with Extension leadership, centers and units to develop and implement supervisory training and employee development programs incorporating resources available through the Office of Human Resources.
- Develop, implement and evaluate effective recruitment, hiring, onboarding and existing processes that ensure a diverse workforce.
- Provide on-going advice, risk assessment, and individual counsel to managers and administrators to help resolve employee relation issues.
- Stay informed of Extension’s priorities and business needs in order to anticipate future changes to the workforce needs.
- Develop, train and evaluate the performance management program including supervisor training, performance review process, mentorship, merit pay, other compensation policies, and staff recognition.
- Lead professional development and engagement initiative to improve workplace climate and retain high performing staff.
- Work with leadership to facilitate actions to maintain and improve levels of employee engagement.
- Recruit, develop, mentor, and retain a diverse HR team.
- Evaluate employee performance and provide on-going training, development, feedback and coaching to HR staff.
- Ensure that HR staff have the resources, training, and knowledge needed to deliver professional HR services and consultation in areas particular to the University, Extension, and Federal employee benefits
- Ensure that HR and related management practices comply with law, policy, contracts and rules related to Human Resources.
- Maintain knowledge of critical employment laws. Oversee investigations into complaints of violations of employment laws or policies. Ensure that HR team members maintain knowledge of applicable employment laws and HR policies.
- Advise and consult on HR risk management. Take appropriate actions to minimize risk, including providing timely and effective investigations, as well as consultation and advice to managers, leaders, and other HR professionals.
- Provide escalation for consultation and investigation of HR issues that are particularly complex or sensitive, including partnering with the appropriate University offices, as necessary
Salary, Benefits, and Travel:
- Salary commensurate with career experience and education.
- Full University benefits apply including retirement, health, dental and life insurance, https://humanresources.umn.edu/benefits.
- Travel (in-state and national) may be necessary to perform the responsibilities of this position. This person may be expected to use a personal vehicle and have appropriate insurance. Mileage and sustenance reimbursement provided according to the University policy.
- BA/BS in Human Resources or related field, plus ten (10) years of related professional HR experience including experience supervising an HR team, and HR generalist work.
- Working knowledge of employment laws, rules and regulations affecting human resources.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of HR best practices.
- Commitment to advancing equity, diversity and inclusion, with experience working respectfully and effectively with individuals from racially and culturally diverse populations.
- Demonstrates sensitivity and awareness of challenges and institutional barriers for people from under-represented populations.
- Demonstrated success in strategic planning and project management, including organizational and planning skills.
- Success working and leading in a complex, multi-layered and collaborative environment.
- Ability to work effectively with ambiguity, problem solve unique and unexpected issues, use sound judgment and discretion.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing across all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and an ability to influence others directly and indirectly.
- Advanced degree in HR or related field
- Significant experience leading a team of professionals including experience in HR management, HR consulting, budget/payroll management, and handling grievances to meet the specific needs of the organization.
- Ability to work effectively with ambiguity, use sound judgment and exercise, independent judgement and discretion.
- Experience with risk management programs such as safety of minors
- Proven success in workforce planning and organizational design
- Experience working in a union environment including interpreting collective bargaining agreement s and responsibility for connective action and grievance processes.
- Experience working in higher education and/or public sector employment setting.
- Skills and /o r training in change management and conflict resolution.
- Diversity: Demonstrated experience fostering an equitable, diverse and inclusive workplace
- Communications and Teamwork: Demonstrates the ability to express thoughts clearly and concisely; shows good active listening skills; and able to tailor messages appropriately to audience. Builds working relationships to resolve problems and achieve common goals. Offers assistance, support, and feedback to others. Ability to communicate effectively, succinctly, and persuasively in writing, orally and interpersonally.
- Motivation: Shows initiative, anticipates needs, and takes actions. Ability to be self-directed, take appropriate action and be efficient and resourceful in fulfilling responsibilities.
- Accountability/Reliability: Takes ownership for own work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes and learns from them. Follows through on commitments, is dependable and trusted to work independently.
The UMN has suspended hiring for most positions. However, we will continue hiring for positions critical to the University's mission and operations at this time. Applications are being accepted for this position and you are encouraged to apply.
Please apply online at https://extension.umn.edu/about-extension/careers. Job Opening ID: 336743
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click on the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position. The following must be included with your online application:
- Cover letter
- Three (3) professional references with contact information (name/email/phone). These may be attached as an additional page to your resume or cover letter, otherwise you will need to follow the instructions below.
Additional documents may be attached after the application by accessing your “My Job Applications” page and uploading documents in the “My Cover Letters and Attachments” section. See full instructions at, https://humanresources.umn.edu/find-job/using-job-app-system.
Transcripts for all college work (unofficial transcripts are acceptable) will be required during the interview process.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please email email@example.com or call 612-624-UOHR (8647).
Application review will begin on August 12, 2020. Position will remain open until filled.
For questions about applying online, contact:
Tiffany McMillan, Extension Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about this position, contact:
Lynne Borden, Associate Dean for Organizational Innovation & Research, email@example.com.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
The University of Minnesota Extension shall provide equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.