Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Aviation Department Head
Department: 3670085547 Salina Dept of Aviation
Job no: 514824
Employment type: Academic / Faculty – 12 month
Location: Salina, Kansas
Worksite: On-site requirement
Categories: Administrative / Professional, Executive / Director / Management, Aviation / UAT / UAS
Pay Grade: 001
About This Role:
Kansas State University’s Aerospace and Technology Campus seeks an innovative and inspiring leader to serve as the next Department Head for Aviation. This position is responsible for ensuring exceptional undergraduate learning and training experiences exist for the degree options offered within the department.
The selected candidate will be a natural innovator who can think beyond traditional education, operational, and training models. The successful candidate will be a well-rounded professional with proven strategic leadership experience and business acumen. Excellence in communication and measurable success in leading diverse colleagues and peers is critical. Candidates should strongly commit to mentoring others and supporting a team’s balanced growth and professional advancement. Networking ability leading to engagement with industry, the development of meaningful partnerships, and fundraising to support departmental goals are advantageous.
The primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
• Ensuring the professional representation of the Aviation department to aviation industry partners, leaders and organizations within the local community, as well as with leadership of the College and University
• On-boarding and mentoring department employees to consistently adhere to department, campus, and university policies
• Developing and supporting personnel programs and annual evaluations that ensure high productivity of unit staff
• Reviewing and approving departmental budget actions to ensure compliance and to manage costs and expenditures
• Fostering and promulgating business development strategies and industry connections that promote revenue growth for the unit
Recruitment and Retention:
• Collaborating with Enrollment Management to develop and implement student recruitment strategies to support enrollment growth
• Ensuring departmental culture and quality classroom and co-curricular learning experiences support and enhance student recruitment
Compliance and Regulations:
• Directing Chief Flight Instructor and Option Coordinators to ensure accomplishment of FAR Part 61, 141, 145, and 147 requirements established in program and operational certificates
• Ensuring alignment between FAA, department, and university policies
• Creating and implementing training programs for faculty/staff
• Collaborating with leadership to facilitate integration of core disciplines and diversity into aviation curriculum and enhancing teaching by developing innovative pedagogy, lab experiences, and delivery methods
• Staying current with industry developments to ensure quality training opportunities are available in all aviation academic options
• Expanding and growing non-credit training opportunities relevant to industry needs
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University’s Aerospace and Technology Campus is located in Salina, KS, about 65 miles west of Kansas State University’s main campus in Manhattan. The campus is centered around the student experience emphasizing innovative learning, real-world experiences and industry connections. Our student to faculty ratio is 14:1 – meaning our faculty are focused on each student. We are a tight-knit family with a small college feel and the resources of a Big 12 university.
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
This position is required to be performed on-site. Work is performed on employer premises or designated assignment location.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
• Earned a master’s degree (Ph.D. preferred) from an accredited institution.
• Thought leader with the aptitude to manage, negotiate and recommend improvements to maintain pace in higher education and with industry trends.
• Demonstrated experience with good financial stewardship, decision-making, and project management.
• Demonstrated leadership experience in developing and supporting a positive, respectful, and culturally diverse work environment.
• Experience in developing and maintaining professional relationships with industry to ensure that the program provides appropriate student career preparation.
• Familiarity managing FAA air agency certifications FAR Part 141 and Part 147
• Prior higher education experience
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Letter of Interest
• Resume/Curriculum Vitae
• Names and Contact Information for three current, professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled. For best consideration, apply by April 2, 2023.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Mar 09, 2023
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3993880
Join the Conversation