Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Laboratory Animal Technician I
Department: 3670050090 University Veterinarian
Job no: 510595
Employment type: Staff Full Time (USS)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Animal Sciences / Livestock
Pay Grade: 02B
About This Role:
The CMG mission is to provide animal husbandry and veterinary services for animals used in KSU's research, teaching, and testing programs in accordance with (IAW) applicable laws, regulations, standards, guidelines, and university policy governing the care and use of laboratory animals at academic/research institutions. The duties of the Laboratory Animal Technician I include performing routine daily animal husbandry for a wide variety of animal species (e.g. Feeding, watering, cleaning stalls/pens/cages, waste disposal, sanitation/decontamination of facilities/equipment, etc.), animal handling/restraint/transport, general facility housekeeping/maintenance tasks, animal health monitoring/reporting, administering prescribed veterinary treatments (e.g., oral, topical, and/or injectable medications/drugs), assisting with anesthesia/surgical/necropsy procedures as required, and assisting with the research studies as required. This duty position is primarily allocated/assigned to the CMG'S Cole and Mosier Animal Facilities (Main), but incumbents may be temporarily detailed to perform similar tasks in other CMG supported animal facilities on the KSU Manhattan Campus as required (e.g., Large Animal Research Center (LARC), Justin Animal Facility, etc.).
The position requires variable on-call, evening/night, weekend, and/or holiday swing shifts as required to provide 7 days/week, 365 days/year animal care coverage. This position's regular shift will include weekend hours.
Why Join Us:
The mission of the Comparative Medicine Group is to facilitate animal use in research and teaching, at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Kansas State University by providing high-quality animal care in accordance with both federal and state regulations and AAALAC guidelines.
The KSU Comparative Medicine Group (CMG) is a centralized campus-wide core research fee-for-service support unit under the Office of the Vice President for Research (VPR) for the procurement, care, and use of laboratory animal animals for research, testing, and/or teaching purposes at KSU's main campus. The CMG works closely with VPR's University Research Compliance Office (URCO), Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), and Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) to insure that all animal use at KSU complies with all applicable public laws/regulations, National Institutes of Health/Public Health Service (NIH/PHS) Policies, and National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council/Institute for Laboratory Animal Research (NAS/NRC/ILAR) guidelines for the humane and ethical use of live vertebrate animals.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Six (6) months animal husbandry experience (Education may be substituted for relevant animal experience at the discretion of the hiring unit.)
• Knowledge of AAALAC accreditation requirements
• Working knowledge of Windows-based computer software (e.g.¸ MS Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.)
• Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• AALAS certification at the Asst. Lab Animal Technician (ALAT), Lab Animal Technician (LAT), or Lab Animal Technologist (LATg) level
• Some college/vo-tech level biology, animal science, or veterinary technician training/education
• Experience working directly with animals at a veterinary clinic/hospital, animal shelter, and/or animal boarding kennel facility
• Animal husbandry experience with laboratory animals (rodents & rabbits), small animals (dogs/cats), and/or large animals (agricultural livestock) in a research facility
• Experience working in an AAALAC accredited research institution/facility
• Experience working at ABSL-2, ABSL-3, and/or ABSL-3Ag in a research facility
• Experience working with animals used on infectious disease research projects in a research facility
• Experience in maintaining detailed records
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
• Valid driver's license upon employment
• Must pass a KSU pre-employment background check.
• Position requires the employee to be American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) certified at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level or above; if not ALAT certified at time of hire the employee must become ALAT certified within 12 months of being hired.
• A National Select Agent security risk assessment and/or U.S. Government security clearance is also required for the employee to work at the BRI.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Cover letter
• Online application
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until filled.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
$11.33 - $15.01 hourly
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Apr 27, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2239282