Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Laboratory Technician (Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory)
Department: 3670080080 Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
Job no: 511009
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Research / Scientific / Grants, Veterinary Medicine
Pay Grade: 05B
About this Role:
The Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (KSVDL) within the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Laboratory Technician. This position exists to serve the needs of clientele/stakeholders (clients, faculty, residents, students, coworkers) in regards to necropsy and sample reception, and assistance with all activities on the necropsy floor. This position will oversee and manage all necropsy floor activities including scheduling for teaching and research, disinfection, adherence to biosafety procedures and protocols in accordance with the KSVDL quality system, management of student workers, maintenance of equipment, record keeping related to the above activities, and maintenance and oversite of the KSVDL bulk autoclave and tissue digester. This position will also serve as an assistant to pathologists in necropsy procedures and sample collection from other samples (i.e. rabies testing, BSE testing, CWD testing). Some flexibility may be required regarding work hours at selected/occasional times.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
Duties / Responsibilities:
• The primary purpose of this position is organization, maintenance, scheduling of the necropsy floor. Manage the necropsy floor and assist faculty pathologists in coordinating necropsy and mail-in diagnostic cases plus filling add-on requests sent by email. Scheduling of the floor for all teaching and research usage. Interaction and communication with Accessioning and Client Care as well as other laboratory sections will take place on a daily basis. Responsibilities include operational expertise and maintenance and use of the tissue digestor and bulk autoclave within the Client Services area, necropsy coolers, hoist and rail system, bandsaw, and scales. Scheduling of maintenance visits in accordance with annual requirements of equipment for maintenance. Performing this duty will require a strong working knowledge of all necropsy and pathology SOPs as well as disinfection procedures, required PPE, and maintenance schedules.
• Intake, documentation, and proper disposal and/or release of all animals submitted for necropsy, disposal, and/ or cremation, and other samples for diagnostic testing. In addition, assistance to those internal clients utilizing the necropsy floor for those needs outside of routine diagnostics, including research. Performing this duty will require a strong working knowledge of all necropsy and pathology SOPs as well as disinfection procedures, required PPE, and maintenance schedules. All of these tasks are expected to be completed in accordance with QA/QC procedures with the intent of adhering to AAVLD accreditation guidelines.
• Maintenance and updating of multiple internal documents will also be expected which will include but are not limited to SOP''s, Working Instructions/controlled information, Equipment/Maintenance Logs, and other logs within the Client Services area. Performing this duty will require a strong working knowledge of relevant SOPs and effective writing skills.
• Other tasks that may be performed could include processing packages, training of student employees, assistance with creating purchase orders, and filling KSVDL supply orders.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• High School Diploma
TRANSPORTING DEMANDS: Considerable: up to 75 pounds
• 2 years client service/ communication work experience
• Knowledge of clinical specimens/testing and medical databases
• Veterinary Technician training and curriculum in a certified program
• Animal Science/Veterinary Medical experience/education
• One year of lab/veterinary experience
• General experience with computer software
• Use of computer to enter/generate data in LIMS and Microsoft Office Software
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 15.79 - $ 26.84 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Jul 06, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2352797