Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
The Managing Director for the Office of Business Engagement (OBE), determines the strategic direction of the unit and office, personally prospects, cultivates and grows relationships with business and industry partners as well as campus stakeholders; and is accountable for results, and all unit strategic, programmatic, fiscal, and personnel related matters to align UW Madison faculty, PI, administration and affiliate organization goals as they relate to industry engagement with corporate and related private sector institutional goals. Specific areas of domain impact include research, projects, fee for service, corporate philanthropy, professional development, tech transfer and talent. The ideal candidate will and will want to focus at least 50% of personal and team resources on growing the revenue and positive impact of corporate engagement on campus, while allocating the necessary balance of time running the business of OBE.
1. Directs the development of institutional, cross-campus and moderate to high-profile strategic planning initiatives and objectives to ensure appropriate use of financial, administrative, and staffing resources and alignment with the UR strategic plan
2. Develops and executes operating policies and procedures to comply with regulations, institutional policies, and objectives
3. Directs the participation of OBE in university campaign and engagement efforts
4. Serves as the institutional liaison to internal and external stakeholder groups providing organizational information and representing the interests of the institution in the cultivation of
industry and business partner relationships
5. Determines unit personnel needs and personnel resource allocation plan including hiring, training, supervision, and resolution of non-routine personnel issues
6. Supervises and develops staff; Develops, owns, and oversees budget
7. Develops, sources, analyzes, and evaluates company and industry research in support of determining appropriate resource allocation
8. Identifies, cultivates, and converts a robust pipeline of target partners to support University goals and continuously evaluates and prioritizes new opportunities for engagement
9. Provides leadership and adds value to significant partnerships including governance, stewardship and opportunity identification and follow through for the benefit of the university and the partner
10. Identifies and implements opportunities for improvement or development
Degree and area of specialization:
Bachelor's degree is required. Advanced degree in related field is preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
-- 10 years of experience in business/industry relations and development.
-- 5 years of management and supervisory experience of a professional workforce. Track record of successful management and supervision (hiring, development, resource allocation, budget development and management and accountability) and building diverse, highly engaged, and effective teams.
-- 10 years of complex solution selling and relationship development, with at least 5 at the executive level. Demonstrated experience leading, managing, and allocating resources within a complex solution selling environment with individual outputs/contracts successfully sourced, negotiated, approved, and delivered ~$1 - $5 million range.
-- Demonstrated capability defining and delivering strategic outputs and frameworks for industry relationships that source and expand revenue-generating opportunities for a medium to large sized company or academic and research institution.
-- Demonstrated ability to:
-Promote an organization's strategic priorities, including research and commercial goals, by developing excellent working relationships with key stakeholders.
-Set and achieve realistic quantitative and qualitative goals and comprehensive relationship objectives across diverse audiences and industry sectors.
-Drive high personal performance with limited supervision, while able to delegate, coach and inspire exceptional teamwork and output from others through effective team building, communication, influence, and cooperation.
-- An understand of UW-Madison's or equivalent higher education institution organizational and governance structure is beneficial but not required.
UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring.