Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Marketing and Communications Graphic Designer
College of Agricultural Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
University of Illinois Extension
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
WE TRANSFORM LIVES.
Everything we do is designed to improve the quality of life of the people in the state of Illinois, across the nation, and around the world. We discover, develop, translate, and disseminate knowledge to address societal concerns and train the next generation of experts and leaders in a way that empowers them to expand the boundaries of science to higher levels of understanding and influence.
Be a part of our story. Through learning partnerships that extend knowledge and change lives, University of Illinois Extension provides educational programs aimed at making life better, healthier, safer, and more profitable for individuals and their communities. Illinois Extension has operated continuously for more than 100 years connecting the citizens of Illinois to their land-grant university by providing educational programming around the state. University of Illinois Extension is based in the College of ACES and works with all colleges and units of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The Marketing and Communications Graphic Designer serves as a regular, full time, 12-month position with primary responsibility for utilizing creativity, talent, vision, and drive to help Illinois Extension’s Marketing and Communications Team to develop visual and graphic design solutions across platforms for state-wide projects and initiatives that build a strong brand reputation. This position will determine project objectives and deliver end-to-end design artwork that is ready for a variety of media including print, web, social channels, and digital; create illustrations, graphics, templates, and forms consistent with University of Illinois and Illinois Extension brand guidelines; support the Art Director, Project Manager, and Director of Communications in asset creation, execution of high-level requests, budget estimations, and proofing; advise on complex design problems/projects; communicate with outside vendors when technical knowledge and expertise is required; assist colleagues with design and technical solutions; contribute to design training as part of the State Marketing and Communications team, and serve as a liaison to hourly/extra help employees as needed.
The Marketing and Communications Graphic Designer will be located in Urbana-Champaign on the University of Illinois campus (remote and flexible working arrangements are negotiable for this position) and will report to the Art Director for University of Illinois Extension.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Determine project objectives in detail
· Design and prepare production-ready graphics across media platforms, audience types, and program needs
· Source and maintain stock video and photography and help catalogue assets
· Provide visual design expertise and advice to units that report to and work with Illinois Extension
· Execute publication layout using strong visual aesthetic, campus and unit branding, and outstanding typography skills
· Create template-based designs in Canva and other client-accessible tools
· Design, execute, and provide client service for print and merchandise design
· Design tradeshow materials including banners, tablecloths, giveaway, and layout design
· Construct creative campaign concepts
· Create high-level program branding and event and initiative-based branding with distinct personality but in keeping with the campus and unit branding
· Design for websites and build strong relationships with the IT/web team
· Provide basic video editing and supporting the Art Director on video and photo projects
· Research Emerging Trends and Propose New Strategies
· Other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations, or a closely related field.
· Two years of professional work experience in marketing, public relations, communications, brand management, or a related professional area. Demonstrated graphic design experience.
· Bachelor's degree in design. Three to five years of graphic design experience, including as part of a team. Experience evaluating accessibility issues.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Advanced skills in current design software including Adobe Creative Cloud; proficiency for web interface and user experience design; familiarity with University of Illinois and Illinois Extension; video, photography, and animation skills; Ability to translate complex ideas into creative visual solutions; Strong interpersonal communication skills; Adept layout composition and mechanical skills to produce files for print and digital channels; Strong understanding of printing processes and typography; Strong organizational skills and a thorough knowledge of all aspects of print and digital production; Curiosity, flexibility, and commitment to creative thinking are all preferred.
To perform the functions of this position, the employee will be required to perform work both within an office and outside in the communities that are served, and must have the capability to travel from one location to the other in a timely fashion. A valid driver’s license is preferred. Employee is responsible for securing personal transportation. Some work will be required during evenings and/or weekends. When working, the employee may be exposed to a variety of environmental factors to include, but not limited to, hot or cold weather, exposure to noise and allergens, and uneven ground. In performing the functions of this position, the employee may be subjected to various mental and physical demands as well to include, but not limited to, independently traveling to and performing work at different locations, lifting and moving items that may occasionally weigh up to forty (40) pounds and frequently weigh up to twenty (20) pounds, and twisting, pushing and pulling movements.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
This position is a full-time, benefits-eligible, exempt, Civil Service Marketing Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience. One position available for hire.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION:
Applications must be received by July 6, 2022. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button here: https://go.illinois.edu/167888. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. Please be sure to address how you meet each requirement of the position in your cover letter and/or resume. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and names/contact information for three references. Academic credentials are verified at the time of hire.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Ashley Grilo (firstname.lastname@example.org). For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption in accordance with applicable University processes.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
Out-of-state candidates must establish Illinois residency within 180 calendar days of the start date for this position. Illinois residency requires proof of a valid Illinois Driver’s License or state of Illinois ID Card. Failure to produce the required documentation within 180 calendar days will result in immediate termination of employment.