Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marshall University is entering a new era with exciting new leadership, and the institution seeks an enterprising, strategic, and confident executive to serve as Marshall’s Chief Marketing and Communications Officer and lead its efforts in marketing, branding, creative, digital, and public and media relations. Marshall seeks someone who can be an innovative and transformational partner to Marshall’s recently appointed 38th President, Brad D. Smith.
Marshall University is a public comprehensive research university with a rich history as one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in West Virginia. Marshall advances the public good through innovative, accredited educational programs. The university is located in Huntington, West Virginia, with additional campuses in South Charleston, Point Pleasant, Teays Valley, and Beckley. Marshall is classified as a Carnegie Doctoral University: High Research Activity - R2 institution. The university enrolls 11,962 students: 8,776 undergraduate, 2,515 graduate, and 671 first professional. The university offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs organized into https://www.marshall.edu/academics/. As the Thundering Herd, the university participates in the NCAA Division I, Sun Belt Conference. Marshall University is situated in a region of great natural beauty; Huntington is nestled in the heart of the Appalachian Mountain region, with the Ohio River creating the perimeter of the city.
The role of Chief Marketing and Communications Officer is one for an innovative, experienced, and data-driven professional who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and has advanced understanding of marketing practices and trends, as well as a track record of developing, executing, and evaluating large-scale marketing campaigns. Candidates must possess a degree from an accredited higher education institution in a related field, plus a substantive record of successful, progressive leadership experience at a level commensurate with the position. The candidate must be a confident, natural leader with demonstrated critical thinking and well-developed collaboration skills. A member of the university's senior leadership team, this person will report directly to the President, will serve on the President's Cabinet, and will supervise a team of 15+ professionals in the https://www.marshall.edu/ucomm/, including digital and web, editorial and creative services, public relations, and trademarks and licensing. The office also operates a full-service print shop.
The ideal candidate will have the following characteristics and attributes:
• The ability to set direction and manage the development, implementation, analysis and evaluation of the university-wide strategic marketing and communications efforts. Experience working within an enterprise-level brand structure and leading teams of creative professionals is preferred.
• A commitment to working with academic and administrative divisions to develop complementary marketing plans for colleges, schools, programs, research centers and other major units. An understanding of the need to establish and maintain partnerships across the organization to strengthen brand management and message alignment, achieve synergies, and maximize returns on institutional marketing investments.
• Demonstrated experience with new forms of media delivery and digital-first strategies, ensuring appropriate metrics are in place to measure performance and progress toward strategic goals.
• An extensive background in evaluating markets and media through in-market tests that optimize user experience, supplemented by research, focus groups, and other learning methods.
• The ability to articulate mission and vision through marketing and communications strategies.
• A track record of helping define products and price point attractive to the relevant market segments.
• Experience managing crisis communications.
• A strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• A readiness to create trusted relationships with team members and support them in achieving their goals.
Additional information is available in the search profile available at https://apptrkr.com/3117191.
How to Apply: Marshall University is being assisted by Academic Search. Applications should consist of a substantive cover letter, a resume, and a list of five professional references with full contact information. No references will be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate. Applications, nominations, and expressions of interest can be submitted electronically, and in confidence, to:
The position is open until filled but only applications received by July 29, 2022, can be assured full consideration. Confidential discussions about this opportunity may be arranged by contacting consultants email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marshall University and the Marshall University Research Corporation are committed to providing equal opportunities to all prospective and current candidates. We do not condone discrimination, in particular based on race, color, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin. Our commitment also applies to all educational programs and activities covered under Title IX which prohibits sex discrimination in higher education. We neither affiliate with nor grant recognition to any individual, group or organization having policies that discriminate.