Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
The Dean of the College of Sciences and Arts (CSA) is a forward thinking, innovative, and collaborative leader who provides strategic leadership in the college. The dean is the chief academic and administrative officer in the CSA, reports directly to the provost, and shapes the vision for the role of the CSA within the University, the State of Michigan, higher education, and society at large. The dean provides leadership to the department chairs in the college and works with other administrators (vice presidents, deans, and directors) as well as faculty, staff, and students to promote excellence in research, teaching, and service. The dean is responsible for fostering successful collaborations among personnel within the CSA, other areas of the University, and external constituencies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Lead the CSA in developing and implementing strategic plans for research and education in support of the goals and mission of the University.
2. Enact a growth mindset, including the successful identification and implementation of a broad and exciting vision to promote growth within the CSA, in alignment with institutional strengths and in partnership with other academic units.
3. Advance the CSA goals for a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming learning and work environment that creates a sense of belonging for all students, faculty, and staff.
4. Work with the chairs in the CSA in developing and implementing department strategic plans and action plans consistent with the CSA vision.
5. Possess and encourage in others entrepreneurial and innovative approaches that value new educational and research initiatives.
6. Provide leadership to the college and work with other units across Michigan Tech to ensure the University continues to thrive during a time of rapid change in higher education.
7. Work with other senior academic leaders as part of the Deans Council, which meets regularly to advise the provost and provide overall academic leadership to the University.
8. Champion the University vision, mission, and strategic initiatives within the college, the University, the state, nationally and internationally.
9. Develop and foster relationships with key external constituents, including alumni, government, industry, and foundations to increase levels of engagement and giving in order to obtain resources that support the continual growth and improvement of students, faculty, staff, programs, and infrastructure of the college and the University.
10. Lead planning, decision-making, and resource allocation activities within the CSA, including providing oversight for decisions made at the departmental level.
11. Supervise CSA associate dean(s), the nine CSA department chairs, and CSA staff and provide opportunities for career development and increased effectiveness.
12. Collaborate with the two Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) departments housed in the college.
13. As appropriate, implement new structures within the CSA and/or in partnership with other academic units to promote growth in alignment with emerging and/or priority areas.
14. Make recommendations to the provost and president regarding hiring, tenure, and promotion for tenured and tenure-track faculty, and appointments and renewals of instructional-track faculty and academic administrators within the CSA.
15. Comply with and provide leadership for initiatives associated with accreditation of departments and programs within the CSA and University.
16. Other duties as assigned.