Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Nutrition Educator (Cottonwood District - Great Bend, Kansas)
Department: 3670055070 Extension Nutrition Program
Job no: 510052
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Categories: Administrative / Professional, Nutrition, Extension Agent / Educator, Family & Consumer Sciences
Pay Grade: 04A
About This Role:
The Extension Nutrition Program, within the College of Health & Human Sciences, is currently seeking a 12-month, 1.0 FTE Nutrition Educator. The Nutrition Educator serves to meet the Kansas Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed) mission of empowering low-income Kansans using evidence-based strategies to achieve healthy lives and reduce health disparities. Specific strategies include direct education in various settings, community-based projects to address policy, system, or environmental changes, and public health approaches to help children, families, and adults improve dietary quality and food resource management skills and increase physical activity. This position reports to the SNAP-Ed Regional Specialist.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Collaborating with County Extension Agent(s) to assess the nutrition and health needs of low-income residents.
• Coordinate, prepare, and deliver curriculum-based nutrition education programming to limited resource groups and individuals of various ages in settings such as Housing Authorities, Food Banks, Schools, etc.
• Develop partnerships and contacts with local service agencies, school districts, and other community organizations.
• Serve as the local SNAP-Ed program and K-State Research & Extension representative for the Cottonwood Extension District and other NW region communities.
• Participate in local community coalitions to promote, implement, and support initiatives for Policy, System, and Environmental changes related to SNAP-Ed goals and objectives.
• Gather data and compile county SNAP-Ed reports and records for submission to the state SNAP-Ed office on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
This position will serve multiple counties in the Cottonwood Extension District (Barton and Ellis) and the Walnut Creek Extension District (Lane, Ness, and Rush) with the primary office location being in Great Bend. Regular travel to various sites within Barton and Ellis counties is required, along with occasional overnight travel for training (approximately 3-4 times per year).
Why Join Us:
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed) is a nutrition education program provided at no cost to Kansas families with limited resources. Our goal is to provide nutrition education to individuals and families who receive food assistance or who are eligible to receive food assistance. In addition, we promote, implement, and support initiatives for Policy, System, and Environmental changes to improve dietary quality, prevent obesity, and increase physical activity.
SNAP-Ed is sponsored by the USDA through a contract with the Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF) and implemented by Kansas State Research and Extension (KSRE). Programming takes place in 75+ counties through the efforts of County Extension Agents, Nutrition Educators, and Nutrition Assistants.
For more information, please go to https://www.hhs.k-state.edu/ks-snaped/.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Bachelor's Degree
• Bachelor's Degree in Nutrition, Family and Consumer Sciences, Public Health, Education or closely related field
• Knowledge of, and experience working with, limited resource families, diverse audiences, and subject matter including food safety
• Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, confident speaking in front of groups and facilitating meetings
• Demonstrated leadership skills in community health promotion and delivery of educational programs
• Experience complying with grant reporting requirements and policies and procedures
• Knowledge and/or experience of public health approaches to promote policy, system, and environmental changes and improve access to healthy food and physical activity opportunities
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
• Valid driver's license, proof of vehicle insurance, and reliable transportation
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Cover letter
• Three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled.
For more information, please contact Janelle VanKooten at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
$ 14.00 - $ 17.00 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Apr 13, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2233651