Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Department: 3670080070 Veterinary Health Center
Job no: 513017
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Health Profession, Veterinary Medicine
Pay Grade: 05A
About This Role:
The Veterinary Health Center within the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Pharmacy Technician. This position is responsible for providing assistance with daily operations of the Kansas State University Veterinary Health Center Dispensary. A primary mission of the Veterinary Health Center is to provide medical services for teaching, research, and clients within the surrounding area. The Dispensary is critical to providing medications to support this mission.
• Assist with accurate dispensing of all pharmaceuticals, including chemotherapeutic agents and hazardous drugs, used within the Kansas State University Veterinary Health Center and/or dispensed for outpatients, which includes sterile and non-sterile compounding. Utilize the pharmacy modules in the computerized Veterinary Health Center management program (Vetstar) and the Cubex computerized medication distribution system in a way that causes accurate and precise filling of medication orders. Initiate sales forms so accurate charges may be assessed at the discharge desk. Work is periodically reviewed by the supervisor for results achieved and by the Kansas State Board of Pharmacy, the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Kansas Board of Veterinary Examiners, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for regulatory compliance.
• Assist the Cubex Manager with Veterinary Health Center inventory management and control using the Cubex medication distribution system, which includes preparation of patient medications, unit dose repackaging, refilling stock, removing outdated items, taking inventory, monitoring charges, and reporting. Instruct faculty, staff, and students on the use of the Cubex computerized medication distribution system and VetStar pharmacy and inventory modules. Work is periodically reviewed by the supervisor for results achieved and by the Kansas Board of Pharmacy, the DEA, the FDA, the Kansas Board of Veterinary Examiners, and the EPA for regulatory compliance.
• Assist the Pharmacy Manager with Veterinary Health Center inventory management/control and help maintain computer records on an approximate $700,000.00 value of pharmaceutical and supply inventory so that information is accurate and current. Freight will be received and stocked, and records pertaining to these activities will include inventory of incoming shipments, storage location, pricing, vendor updates, state contract information, and sales information. Monthly outdates and cleaning will also be performed, with records being monitored so that outdated items are removed from inventory and returned to vendors for credit and/or replacement. Procuring, assembling, distributing, and entering charges for drugs, supplies, and services from the Dispensary for teaching and research departments, Junior Surgery Lab, the shelter medicine service, etc. Work is periodically reviewed by the supervisor for results achieved.
• Assist the pharmacist with maintenance of controlled substance logs, as required by the DEA. Logs are to be monitored daily, and physical inventories taken as required by DEA regulations. Work is periodically reviewed by the supervisor for results achieved and by the Kansas Board of Pharmacy and DEA for regulatory compliance.
• Helping the Compounding Manager maintain compounding functions of the Veterinary Health Center Dispensary (monitoring, cleaning, training, etc.) and meeting United States Pharmacopeia standards in this area.
• Other duties as assigned. This includes being prepared to supervise and manage the Dispensary when the Pharmacist or Program/Project Assistant (Pharmacy Manager) is not available. It is expected that the employee will become familiar with VetStar, the computerized Veterinary Health Center's management system, as it applies to services provided by the Dispensary and be willing and able to train other employees on its use. The employee is expected to utilize knowledge of university procedures, communication, organizational skills, and background of pharmacy procedures to assist the Kansas State University Veterinary Health Center to function smoothly, efficiently, and responsibly. The employee is also expected to be able to communicate established protocols to faculty, staff, clients, referring veterinarians, and the public. Work is periodically reviewed by the supervisor for results achieved.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Requires a high school diploma
• Registered Pharmacy Technician with the Kansas State Board of Pharmacy or be able to obtain registration upon beginning employment and Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) within 12 months of appointment
• One year of experience in a human or veterinary pharmacy environment
• Ability to be responsible, reliable, and to demonstrate initiative and leadership traits so that dispensing pharmaceuticals is accomplished in a professional manner
• Ability to exercise independent judgment on evaluating situations and making decisions
• Training in compounding
• Medical field training
• Pharmacy Technician Training Education
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Cover letter
• Contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening begins immediately and continues until the position is filled.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
$13.97 - $20.55 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: May 09, 2022
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3064335