Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
· Department: Horticulture
· Location: Pullman, Washington
· Type of position: A full time, 2.5-year appointment
· Anticipated start Date: May 15, 2021
· Salary: $50,000/year plus benefits
The Department of Horticulture at Washington State University seeks a postdoctoral research scientist to conduct genetics, genomics and breeding research on pea. This position will take the lead on a collaborative WSU-USDA project to fine map and characterize genes in pea using QTL-seq, RNA-seq, and map-based cloning approaches; develop KASP markers; and breed high food quality pea germplasm. This position will offer ample opportunities for professional development and collaboration between the USDA-ARS pulse breeding program and the WSU Main Lab Bioinformatics program.
The selected candidate will design and conduct experiments in the lab, greenhouse and field, analyze data, prepare project reports, publish research results in peer-reviewed journals, and present results at scientific conferences. The selected candidate will be also expected to provide training for undergraduate and graduate students and collaborate with peers from other programs.
· Ph.D. in plant breeding, genetics, genomics, molecular biology, or a closely related discipline
· Demonstrated ability to conduct greenhouse studies and field trials
· Demonstrated experience working with R or Linux
· Demonstrated experience in molecular biology
· Ability to work with diverse and interdisciplinary teams
· Good interpersonal and communication skills
· Demonstrated experience in genetic linkage mapping
· Demonstrated experience working with RNAseq data analysis
· Demonstrated ability to work across disciplines
· Ability to accomplish research goals including publication of results in peer-reviewed journals
· Knowledge of state-of-the-art molecular biology techniques applicable to plant breeding/biology
Please submit a cover letter describing qualifications and research interests, a curriculum vitae, and contact information of three references to WSU Jobs (https://wsu.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WSU_Jobs/job/PLANT-SCIENCES-BUILDING--REC-5-PROPOSED/Postdoctoral-Research-Associate---WSDA_R-692-1). Application screening begins April 17, 2021. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.