Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Postdoctoral Scientist - Biology
Department: 3670020060 Biology
Job no: 512341
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Applied Sciences, Research / Scientific / Grants, Natural / Quantitative Sciences
Pay Grade: 001
About This Role:
We seek an enthusiastic colleague to help lead an experiment co-designed by The Nature Conservancy and researchers at Kansas State University. The experiment will assess the effectiveness of “virtual fence” technology to control cattle grazing locations with the aim of improving conditions for grassland birds, and improving stream health including water quality, stream macroinvertebrates, and streamside vegetation. The post-doctoral fellow will be jointly supervised by Dr. http://www.aliceboyle.net/ and Dr. https://www.k-state.edu/doddslab/ (https://www.k-state.edu/biology/) and collaborate closely with Tony Capizzo (The Nature Conservancy; https://www.nps.gov/tapr/index.htm) and managers from the partner ranch.
The postdoctoral fellow will assist in project development, collect bird data in the field, and oversee aquatic and vegetation sampling and associated field and laboratory work conducted by technicians. This position is ideal for someone with strong avian skills who is interested in broadening their expertise to include other aspects of ecology, conservation, and management. Within the constraints of planned data collection protocols, there are opportunities for the post-doc to pursue associated research questions if they wish. Depending on career objectives, Boyle, Dodds, and Capizzo will work closely with the candidate to develop and implement a personalized mentoring plan.
Location: Field work at the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve, located in the beautiful Flint Hills near Strong City, Kansas. Home institution in the Division of Biology at Kansas State University. While remote work may be possible for part of the year, this position will require the post-doc to live locally for at least the spring and summer months.
Why Join Us:
Our multidisciplinary research approach offers growth opportunities for a motivated, enthusiastic individual. Kansas State University is located in Manhattan, a beautiful college town nestled against the Flint Hills in Kansas. Manhattan was recently rated by Forbes to be third in the list of best small places for careers. Similarly, the University has been rated by Business Insider to be in the Top 20 best college campuses in the nation. The position provides full benefits.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks individuals whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's dedication to the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• PhD in ecology or similar field
• Experience or understanding of grassland ecology and management, grassland bird surveys and identification, experience identifying stream macroinvertebrates and/or grassland plants
• Strong field skills including bird identification and comfort with routine ecological methods, field surveys, and downloading and maintaining ecological sensors
• Demonstrated ability to analyze and complete manuscripts in a timely fashion
• Ability to work under demanding field conditions
• Excellent “people” skills, including the ability to effectively train and mentor technicians and interact well with ranchers, National Parks and Nature Conservancy personnel, the university community, and the public
• Willing to drive 4WD utility vehicle off-road
• Valid driver's license
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Cover letter
• CV (including complete publication record)
• Contact information for 3 professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled.
Salary Range/ Pay Rate:
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Feb 16, 2022
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2863682