Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
The Board of Trustees of Montclair State University is seeking nominations and applications for the position of President. This leader will succeed Dr. Susan A. Cole, who will retire in July 2021 after 23 years of extraordinary contributions to the University.
Montclair State University is an R2 research institution ranked in the top tier of national universities. Building on a distinguished history dating back to 1908, the University today has 10 colleges and schools that serve 21,000 undergraduate and graduate students with more than 300 doctoral, master’s and baccalaureate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 252- acre suburban campus just 12 miles from New York City, Montclair State welcomes a very diverse population of students and delivers the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a supportive and sophisticated academic environment that has a feeling of community that is more typical of a smaller institution.
Over the past decade, the University’s enrollment has more than doubled, and Montclair State has taken its place as one of New Jersey’s most successfully diverse institutions while expanding its degree offerings and earning national and state recognition as a research university. In recent years, the University has created a number of important research centers and institutes, as well as four new schools and colleges: the School of Communication and Media, home to one of the nation’s most advanced media production facilities and over 1,000 students; the John J. Cali School of Music, which together with the Department of Theatre and Dance has gained a national and international reputation for educating performing artists; University College, which serves close to 2,000 pre-major students; and a new, highly innovative School of Nursing. Montclair State University is enjoying an exciting period of transition and growth and has elevated aspirations for its future. The University has built considerable momentum in recent decades, and the new president will be expected to build on that momentum, achieving wide recognition for Montclair State as a distinctive and distinguished member of the nation’s public research universities. The Board of Trustees is seeking an experienced, forward-looking and progressive leader who will be presented with the following opportunities for professional and personal fulfillment:
· Serve as the leader of a campus “on the move” which has made exciting gains in enrollment, programs, facilities and reputation;
· Collaborate regularly with an exceptional and nimble team of administrators, faculty and staff in perfecting Montclair State’s value proposition, which is its ability to deliver the highest quality of academic programs at affordable costs;
· Participate in the entrepreneurial spirit that has enabled the University to successfully develop many innovative programs and services, and create new ways to further serve the region’s needs;
· Interact regularly with and serve as a role model for the University’s highly diverse, engaged and caring students, who are appreciative of Montclair State’s academic and co-curricular programs and eager to apply these resources to their own growth and development;
· Partner with the region’s leaders – government, private sector, industry, academic, media and community – to convey Montclair State’s commitment to improving the well-being and prosperity of the state; and
· Work and reside in a vibrant metropolitan area that provides for the highest quality of life and a diversity of people, resources and activities.
Additional information about the position, including a leadership profile can be found at www.wittkieffer.com.
WittKieffer is assisting in this search. Confidential inquiries, nominations and applications are invited. Review of applications will begin in February 2021 with the goal of announcing the new President in late spring 2021. For fullest consideration, applicant materials should be received by February 1, 2021. Candidates should provide a resume or curriculum vitae and a letter of application. These materials should be submitted electronically using the WittKieffer candidate portal. Questions or nominations can be directed to Montclair State’s consultants at WittKieffer: John K. Thornburgh, Robin Mamlet and Alejandra Gillette-Teran at: MontclairStatePresident@wittkieffer.com.
EEO/AA Statement Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. For more information, visit www.montclair.edu/human-resources/about-us/eo-aa-and-diversity