Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program/Project Assistant (Veterinary Health Center)
Department: 3670080070 Veterinary Health Center
Job no: 510985
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Administrative / Professional, Veterinary Medicine, Medical
Pay Grade: 06A
About this Role:
This position is responsible for leading the team of Client Services staff, providing quality client services in the Large Animal, Small Animal, and Discharge Desk areas in the Veterinary Health Center, as well as providing clerical and administrative support for the Director of Client Services. Hospital mission includes requirement of providing quality medical services to clients and training for professional veterinary students. Client services must be provided in a professional manner, since first impression of service quality must be established at the time of initial contact to facilitate customer satisfaction, good will, and repeat customer business.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
Duties / Responsibilities:
• Team Lead for Small Animal Client Services Staff: Create full time staff calendar, ensuring that staffing is adequate in all areas and lunches are covered each day. This includes providing adequate coverage on weekends and after hours (24 hours each day, 7 days each week). Monitor leave requests and resolve any potential conflicts in collaboration with the Director of Client Services. Respond to staff issues and client complaints using critical thinking, conflict resolution, and problem solving skills. Maintain all necessary supplies in all small animal/emergency client service areas. Organize work spaces to maximize efficiency. Serve on hiring committee for all Client Service Assistant positions. Oversee and coordinate training for all new employees. Direct daily employee responsibilities for the Small Animal Admissions and Discharge desks. Update and maintain all training materials. Ensure all written protocols are update to date and readily accessible for all staff. Serve in on-call rotation to answer questions and resolve problems after hours and on weekends and Participate in on-call rotation on weekends and when the Director of Client Services is unavailable. Serve as the main point of contact for client services staff questions and to help resolve issues.
• Phones: Act as a telephone receptionist for calls into the desk area by answering multi-line telephone system and meeting the caller's needs or directing the caller to the appropriate section or person, via pocket pager, overhead paging system, voicemail transfer, or written notes. Calls include those from the public, referring veterinarians needing consultation or appointments, inter-hospital calls among staff, faculty and senior professional students and emergency care calls. Call duration and difficulty varies greatly. Flexibility and finesse are needed each time to make quick judgments of the patron's needs as well as clinician schedules. Extensive knowledge of hospital protocol, faculty and staff rosters, on-call rosters, daily census sheets, and familiarity with medical terminology, customer relations, and sound decision making skills are paramount to maintaining quality performance in this area.
• Appointments, Admission & Discharges: Schedule appointments for the appropriate service of the KSU-VHC. Make appointment lists showing client, clinician, and referring veterinarian by first assessing patient symptoms followed by deciding what hospital service should see the animal. Client and patient information is then matched with an available appointment and entered into the hospital information system. Responsible for maintaining hospital forms, work flow charts, create and maintain files, and run monthly hospital information reports. Maintain all clinical service appointment schedules within the Hospital Information System. Accurately and efficiently enter, maintain, and access information with in the hospital information system to include creating templates for services and small animal sections, creating calendar templates for various sections. Receive and admit patients for care into the VHC. This requires accurate typing and computer skill, and professional customer service approach. These duties are accomplished by obtaining information from the clients on themselves and their animal, entering this data into the hospital information system and preparing appropriate forms for admission, including the patient medical record. Process clients financial invoices for patient discharge. This includes calculating essential charges, including applicable markups, reviewing charges assessed by faculty veterinarians, and entering this data into the hospital information system. Collection of cash, check, and credit card payments from clients and verification of total invoice for accuracy. Process credit card payments and reference charge clients for credit status. Receive and account for cash received and all cash transactions during duty shift. Dispense supplies and pharmaceuticals as requested and sell pet food to faculty, staff, students, and clients. Receive and process payments for these items.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• High school diploma
• One year of relevant experience
• Two years experience in clerical or office support work
• Training in general office practice
• Experience in over-the-counter sales with related ability to accurately handle money
• Experience with data processing and personal computer usage
• Experience with veterinary hospital management program software, such as VetStar
• Experience monitoring security cameras with digital video management software
• Good public relation skills to include the ability to communicate professionally under stress such as might be imposed by an abusive client
• Working knowledge of medical terminology
• Computer skills, including knowledge of work processing computer software and medical database programs
• Ability and skills to efficiently coordinate calls on a multiline telephone system
• Aptitude and accuracy with math skills to include the ability to handle money
• Ability to complete data entry in computer system accurately and in a timely fashion
• Ability to apply skills of a service oriented nature position to the public, faculty and students in order to promote harmonious working relationships and excellent veterinary medical care for patients
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 15.42 - $ 23.11 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Jul 06, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2352834