Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program/Project Manager I (Center of Excellence for Emerging and Zoonotic Animal Diseases)
Department: 3670080040 Diagnostic Medicne Pathobiolog
Job no: 511461
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Administrative / Professional, Business / Accounting / Finance, Office / Clerical, Veterinary Medicine
Pay Grade: 10A
About this Role:
The Center of Excellence for Emerging and Zoonotic Animal Diseases (CEEZAD) within the Department of Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology with the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Program/Project Manager I. This work involves a mixture of administrative and management responsibilities in finances, contract management, project management, education and outreach, recruitment, and business affairs. This also includes supervision of multiple positions including the Administrative Assistant/Administrative Specialist, Program Assistant and office student workers.
The successful incumbent will oversee the activities of office staff and consultant workers. Develop and implement budgets, prepare reports for senior management, and ensure the Center complies with University and funding agency polices. Review all financial statements for the Center to ensure proper management of funds. Improve the existing office procedures for efficiency, effectiveness, and to ensure task completion. Ensure workers have the resources to complete their work. Keep track of all staffing requirements (office and laboratory). Hire new talent as needed to correspond with specific duties and skill sets. Ensure office staff are trained and evaluated frequently. Communicate with Pre-awards to ensure that all contracts are compliant to state and federal agencies.
This position is responsible for the budget, accounting, office management, some public relations and oversees numerous reporting requirements in accordance with University and sponsor procedures. Serves as a supervisor for Administrative Assistant/Specialist, Program Assistant, PR assistant and Office Student Workers. Interacts frequently and professionally with undergraduate students, graduate students, full-time professional staff, KSU administration, advisory board, principle investigators at other institutions and other Federal/State/Local/Private representatives and stakeholders. There is some flexibility to also work from home.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
Duties / Responsibilities:
Grants/Contract/Financial Management of Center:
• Analyze and monitor all budgets to ensure spending is efficient, effective, compliant, and according to plan.
• Communicate with various local and national/international research project faculty, subcontractors, consultants, guest speakers, external advisory board members, and stakeholders regarding items such as submission of invoices, deadlines, deliverables, reports, and funding opportunities.
• Gather, prepare, and coordinate granting agency documentation for proposal submissions, reports, and compliance requirements.
• Communicate with program officers at different granting agencies such as NIH, DHS, USDA, etc.
• Prepare and review various agreements such as consultant agreements, MOAs, MTAs, CDAs, etc.
• Ensure compliance with KSU accounting, inventory, and compliance procedures.
• Organize, plan and aid in execution of Center activities such as, but not limited to: refining program or project plans and timelines.
• Maintain and monitor project scope and schedules, managing project resources from conception to completion.
• Identify and help develop solutions and initiatives for the Center and staff.
• Instruct business office assistant to work with vendors regarding billing issues.
• Verify all travel requests and requests for reimbursement.
• Monitor MiSeq/NexSeq and other service center billing and revenue.
Center Operations and Staff Management:
• Assist Center Director/Associate Director in day-to-day operation of the Center
• Assist/direct Administrative Core and consultants as needed, e.g. preparation of monthly, quarterly reports and workplans; review of documents for content and clarity.
• Work closely and collaboratively with CEEZAD Administrative Core staff.
• Direct and coach the Program Assistant, Administrative Specialist/Administrative Assistant, PR assistant and Student Office Worker/s in completing daily activities and tasks.
• Regularly review and improve existing office administrative processes and lab ordering processes for adherence to prescribed standards, practices and procedures; evaluates activities and makes recommendations to increase operating efficiency and ensure adherence with federal or state guidelines.
• Ensure staff have required resources to complete their work.
• Track all staffing requirements (office and laboratory) such as training, evaluations, and required hardware/software in collaboration with office staff.
• Manage human resources, operational, and financial objectives of the Center and laboratory. Develop and implement strategic plans. Promote improvement, creativity, and a positive working environment.
• Manage external relations and oversee publicity.
• Help to develop marketing, outreach and communication plans including Social Media in collaboration with Center leadership and the PR assistant.
• Oversee contracts, collaborations, consultants and agreements.
• Professionally represent the Center at internal/external activities such as conferences, committees, and engagement opportunities.
• Provide direction and communication to support the Center and laboratory. Works to ensure that staff and students have an understanding of resources/programs that are available.
• Attend training sessions and conferences as needed.
• Miscellaneous work as needed to accomplish Center priorities. Examples: Event planning, specific projects
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree
• 3 years relevant experience in short and long-term budgeting and understanding of federal and state financial regulations
• Masters Degree in accounting, finance or business
• 5 + years of experience
• Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
• Working knowledge of forecasting and rolling budgets
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (particularly Excel)
• Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects. Ability to participate in and facilitate group meetings
• Advanced written and verbal communication skills
• Possession of key competencies, including conflict management, business negotiation, organization and decision-making
• Working knowledge of KSU financial systems
• Knowledge of compliance rules and regulations
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule (limited travel may be involved)
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 50,490 - $ 80,743 annual salary
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Sep 17, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2506667