Title: Regional Director
Administrative Unit: Field Operations
Appointment: Full-time, Community Relations/Outreach Manager, Job code 9341R2
Reports to: Director of Statewide Operations
Office Location: Extension Regional Office, Mankato or Worthington, MN
Application Deadline: July 6, 2020 initial review, open until filled
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Regional Director serves a major role in Extension operations, providing critical functions related to internal and external stakeholders and relationships, county funding, human resource management, and overall management of regional and county offices. To be successful, the Regional Director must provide strong leadership and management skills consistent with University of Minnesota Extension mission, vision, and core values. The Regional Director interacts effectively with a variety of stakeholders and staff, and is committed to expanding and fostering diversity and inclusion. This position is part of a statewide team of Regional Directors and also works within a Regional Director team, serving 12 counties in the Southern region. The Regional Director works closely with both programmatic and operations staff. The Regional Director reports to the Director of Statewide Operations.
DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS
Internal/External Relations & Communications:
- Facilitate County Extension Committee (CEC) leadership and development through member selection and onboarding; support of meetings and materials; capacity building for budget development, identification of local needs, performance input for local Extension staff; and recruitment of CEC members to participate in skill building opportunities
- Communicate the value of, and advocate for, Extension programs and positions with new and existing stakeholders
- Advocate for sustaining and increasing county investments and Extension partnerships
- Presentations to stakeholders (County Boards and community groups, etc.)
- Promote regional fund development
- Nurture regional legislative relationships
- Serve on committees and leadership teams to represent Extension’s interests
- Using knowledge of the county government budget process and funding structure, build support for, develop and manage county budgets by engaging CEC members, county boards, and county administration
- Negotiate the level of investment for local program delivery via the Memoranda of Agreement (MOA) between the University and counties
- Manage regional office budget
Office Human Resource Management:
- Build a positive and supportive working environment within the office
- Ensure hiring practices include approaches which seek to reach historically under-served and under-represented audiences
- Lead and serve on county, regional and state search committees
- Supervise regional administrative support staff and university-hired county administrative support
- Work with program supervisors to support and coach local Memorandum of Agreement program staff through performance and office team issues
Program Support and Communications:
- Provide leadership in internal communication, team building, and collaboration with county and regional staff
- Develop and maintain working relationships with Extension Program Leaders to:
- support program and human resource development
- ensure program success through local staff hiring practices, onboarding, conflict management, and financial stewardship
- communicate program outcomes and impacts with stakeholders to ensure public support and funding for Extension
- Listen to stakeholders’ perspectives to determine local needs and emerging issues, and communicate these to Extension program leaders
- Provide leadership for Civil Rights compliance and commitment to diversity
Office Operations Management:
- Promote a positive & productive work environment and teamwork among staff in county and regional offices, convening staff conferences, meetings and retreats, and encouraging transparent communication
- Determine and assign levels of office clerical support for program staff
- Manage regional and county office space, leases, clerical coverage, inventory, purchases, safety and emergency plans
- Provide leadership for Civil Rights compliance and commitment to diversity
- Monitor technology resources in regional and county offices to meet the functional needs of staff and comply with University and County standards
- Support regional program delivery, including negotiation of office space, office clerical support, technology, and finance
Individuals in the Regional Director role will identify and participate in professional development opportunities in support of Extension’s organizational goals and mission.
- This is a full-time, annual academic professional administrative appointment with the University of Minnesota title of Regional Director, job code 9341R2. Renewal is dependent on funding, need, performance, and results. Extension’s academic promotion process does not apply to this job category.
- Performance evaluation is completed by the Director of Statewide Operations using Extension processes for input and evaluation.
- University of Minnesota benefits package includes medical, dental, life and retirement plans listed at: https://humanresources.umn.edu/new-employees/benefits-summaries
- Reimbursement for travel and subsistence is available in accordance with University policy. Must use personal cell phone, provide own means for traveling throughout the state, and legally required vehicle insurance.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
University of Minnesota Extension is a major outreach arm of the University of Minnesota, a land grant institution with a mission to serve the public through applied research and education. The mission of the University of Minnesota is: Making a difference by connecting community needs and University resources to address critical issues in Minnesota. https://extension.umn.edu/
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
- A Bachelor’s degree and eight (8) years of related experience is required. Related experience should include: Experience in Extension, Higher Education, government or public agency, or non-profit agency
- Demonstrated ability in leadership, team building, coaching, time management, strategic decision making and problem-solving, and accountability
- Ability to engage and report to stakeholders, partners, and colleagues
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships, collaborations, and productive partnerships in communities
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to work with new, diverse and historically underserved audiences, as well as with diverse staff, volunteers, community leaders, and elected officials
- Excellent oral and written communication, presentation and organization skills
- Skills/abilities in office management and supervising personnel and resources; including remote management and supervision
- Experience working with boards/advisory committees, including abilities in group facilitation and/or strategic planning
- Highly motivated with the ability to work both independently and as a part of a productive work team; including remote teamwork
- Demonstrated skills in conflict management and organizational problem-solving
- Interest and ability to adapt to a dynamic social environment
- Willingness and ability to work variable hours and frequent travel within a multi-county geographical region
Appointment Also Requires:
- Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and appropriate vehicle insurance.
- Reliable cell phone to be used and number published publicly.
Preferred Qualifications and Competencies:
- A Master’s degree is strongly preferred
- At least five years’ experience in Extension and/or Higher Education
The UMN has suspended hiring for most positions. However, we will continue hiring for positions critical to the University's mission and operations at this time. Applications are being accepted for this position and you are encouraged to apply.
Please apply at: https://extension.umn.edu/about-extension/careers Job Opening ID: 336511
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click on the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position. Please include the following attachments with your online application:
- Cover letter
- Resume or Vitae
Three professional references and transcripts for all college work (unofficial transcripts are acceptable) will be required during the interview process.
Additional documents may be attached after the application by accessing your “My Job Applications” page and uploading documents in the “My Cover Letters and Attachments” section. Full instructions can be found at, https://humanresources.umn.edu/find-job/using-job-app-system.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please email email@example.com or call 612-624-UOHR (8647).
For questions about this position, contact:
Lisa Dierks, Regional Director, and Search Committee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about applying online, contact:
Tiffany McMillan, Extension Human Resources, email@example.com.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
University of Minnesota Extension shall provide equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.