Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research Assistant - Histology (Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory)
Department: 3670080080 Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
Job no: 510780
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Research / Scientific / Grants, Veterinary Medicine
Pay Grade: 06B
About this Role:
The Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (KSVDL) within the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Research Assistant. This position will have the primary responsibility of coordinating new incoming research projects and developing new tests related to immunohistochemistry. A large portion of this person's time will be spent developing new diagnostic and research assays along with coordinating research projects. This individual will also spend a decent amount of time performing diagnostic immunohistochemistry assays and will also assist in diagnostic routine histology duties related to service and research in times of need. All assays will be performed in accordance with those QA/QC guidelines of an AAVLD accredited laboratory. May assist in responsibilities including routine filing of slides, tissue blocks, entering workload data on computers, operating automated histology equipment, digital pathology, writing and updating standard operating procedures and some maintenance of equipment when needed. Significant attention must be given to the KSVDL QMS (Quality Management System) and subsequent compliance. Working hours could vary as needed to meet customer demands for rapid turnaround times for biopsy submissions, and will include working some weekends.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
Duties / Responsibilities:
• Coordinate and develop new diagnostic tests for KSVDL. Coordinate research projects and assist researchers in assay development for their research projects. Participate in other diagnostic test procedures, primarily diagnostic immunohistochemistry assays for infectious agents and cell markers, IHC prion testing (scrapies and chronic wasting disease) and fluorescent antibody testing. Maintain standard operating procedures and work instructions for IHC area. Training researchers in techniques related to performing immunohistochemistry, fluorescent staining, and frozen and paraffin sectioning. Assist researchers in preparing manuscripts for publication.
• Histology tasks, including trimming (grossing) biopsy and necropsy specimens, loading and maintaining automated tissue processors, embedding tissues in paraffin, cutting tissues on a microtome, staining tissues for routine histopathology and for other histochemical stains, cover slipping slides. Responsibilities will include preparing solutions, entering data on computers, filing paperwork, storing slides and tissue blocks, and other duties as needed for routine histology duties including tissue disposal, routine laboratory upkeep for service and research. Will assist in maintenance and function of digital pathology, including digital slide scanning, writing SOPs and controlled information, controlling access to server, setting up new users, and routine maintenance.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree
• Prior histology experience with a determined background in laboratory methods and procedures
• Certification in histotechnology, ASCP [histotechnician (HT) or histotechnologist (HTL)]
• Qualification in IHC- QIHC ASCP
• Positive customer service attitude is essential
• The individual must be able to work cooperatively scheduling work hours with co-workers
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 17.77 - $ 30.20 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Jun 01, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2289159