Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research Assistant - Molecular (Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory)
Department: 3670080080 Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
Job no: 510603
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Research / Scientific / Grants, Veterinary Medicine
Pay Grade: 06B
About this Role:
The Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (KSVDL) Molecular Section is seeking applicants for a Research Assistant. This position will assist in completing polymerase chain reactions (PCR) for detecting infectious agents like viruses and bacteria in samples submitted to the KSVDL for evaluation. This position will involve assisting in the preparation of chemicals and reagents in a molecular biology laboratory, recovering nucleic acids from veterinary clinical samples, completing real-time and traditional PCR assays using standard protocols, being able to successfully complete proficiency testing, and assisting in maintaining records and equipment. In addition, this position is also responsible in assisting with SOP review and preparation, training new student employees, and engaging rotating interns as needed. This position will also assist and lead in various validation activities as needed. This is an essential position and may require variable work schedules, depending on workload.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
Duties / Responsibilities:
• Handling and processing of veterinary samples submitted to the veterinary diagnostic laboratory (KSVDL) and assist in recovering nucleic acids.
• Assist in completing polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for detecting infectious agents like viruses and bacteria in samples submitted to the KSVDL for evaluation.
• Prepare media, controls, reagents, etc. used in the laboratory. Complete real-time and traditional PCR assays using standard protocols Inventory, order supplies and reagents, and provide record keeping for accounting. Periodically update records/logs related to primer probe information and other reagents information as needed
• Assist in master mix preparation and maintaining records and equipment. Perform quality control checks daily and weekly per AAVLD requirements. Participate in formal proficiency testing programs specific to the testing methods used within the laboratory.
• Assist with SOP reviews, preparation and updates. Provide assistance to clients as needed. Participate in student employee and other rotating intern-training activities.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree or higher in biology or related science field
• Experience in molecular biology, specifically PCR
• Great attention to detail
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 17.43 - $ 29.61 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Apr 30, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2242828