Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Research Assistant (Diagnostic Medicine / Pathobiology)
Department: 3670080040 Diagnostic Medicne Pathobiolog
Job no: 511560
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Research / Scientific / Grants, Veterinary Medicine
Pay Grade: 06B
About this Role:
The Center of Excellence for Emerging and Zoonotic Animal Diseases, within the Department of Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology at the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Research Assistant. This position will be conduct work for BSL-2, BSL-3 Zoonotic and infectious viral projects, including working with animals at the BSL-2 and BSL-3 level of bio-containment. Position reports to senior leadership under the direction of Dr. Juergen Richt.
The candidate will assist in the laboratory with routine molecular biology techniques, RT-PCR, PCR, cloning, maintaining various cell cultures, propagating viral stocks, general laboratory maintenance and animal handling in BSL-2 and BSL-3 Ag biocontainment. Select Agent and DOJ clearance is required for this position. The candidate will assist in technical editing or formatting manuscripts for submission to selected journals. The candidate will help write Standard Operating Procedures as well as biosafety manuals.
Plan and conduct experiments, run, calibrate, and troubleshoot general laboratory equipment and instruments, keep laboratory records in the form of a notebook or other generated records, write and edit posters, manuscripts and articles, perform diagnostic testing on a variety of animal samples.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
Duties / Responsibilities:
• Animal handling and necropsy in BSL-2, BSL-3, ABSL3, and BSL-3Ag level of biocontainment. Be awarded and maintain the Department of Justice clearance for Select Agents. Order and maintain general consumable supplies for all laboratories. Assist undergraduate students with research projects to include teaching techniques, troubleshooting and assuring completion of research projects.
• Perform molecular assays using routine molecular biology techniques in the BSL-2 and BSL-3 level of bio-containment. Perform such assays as RT-PCR, PCR, cloning, cell culture maintenance, viral stock propagation and maintenance, laboratory equipment and maintenance. Maintain laboratory notebook with all work performed. Perform reverse genetic assays for the propagation of viruses. Perform genomic sequencing utilizing existing equipment. Analyze data for presentations to PI or other laboratory team members.
• Write and update existing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Biosafety manuals. Assist in the inspection of laboratories maintained by the PI to include BSL-2 and BSL-3 level of biocontainment. Participate in the selection of future employees or students.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• B.S. or equivalent in biological field of study such as Animal Science, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Biology, Chemistry or Biochemistry or a related field
• BSL-2 and/or BSL-3 experience
• Animal handling experience
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 17.77 - $ 30.20 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Oct 07, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2549226
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.