Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Research Assistant (Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory)
Department: 3670080080 Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
Job no: 511396
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Research / Scientific / Grants, Veterinary Medicine
Pay Grade: 06B
About This Role:
The Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (KSVDL) within the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Research Assistant. This position will provide essential support to fulfill the requirements for the National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System grant.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks individuals whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's dedication to the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform as the microbiologist in the National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System - retail component - project in the laboratory. This includes visiting the stores selected by the NARMS to purchase the selected retail food items, isolating the selected bacterial species from the items following the NARMS protocols, banking and shipping the isolates, and completing and maintaining the project's log sheets. This also includes preparing some of the necessary microbiological media, and communicating with the NARMS via conferences calls and e-mails to ensure successful progression of the project.
• Supervise junior laboratory staff and graduate and undergraduate research students in the laboratory. Direct the staff and students in designing, implementing, and troubleshooting microbiological experiments and microbiological isolations from field samples. Guide and supervise the staff and students in implementation of the procedures. Conducting research either independently or via collaborations with the staff and students.
• Oversee compliance of junior laboratory staff, and graduate and undergraduate research students with the biosecurity, biosafety, and other safety requirements and best laboratory practices. Write and maintain the standard operating procedures for microbiological procedures in the laboratory. Direct the junior staff, and procurement and accounting support personnel to ensure timely and cost-effective acquisition of supplies and consumables for the laboratory.
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• B.S. in Microbiology or a closely related discipline
• Master's degree
• Strong background in classical microbiology
• Experience of conducting or participating in surveillance or field-based projects and demonstrated research skills
• Experience in food or diagnostic microbiology
• Teaching, mentoring, or supervisory experience
Screening of Applications Begins:
Salary Range/ Pay Rate:
$ 17.77 - $ 30.20 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Sep 03, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2479166