Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research Associate / Laboratory Manager (Diagnostic Medicine / Pathobiology)
Department: 3670080040 Diagnostic Medicne Pathobiolog
Job no: 510054
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Research / Scientific / Grants, Veterinary Medicine
Pay Grade: 08B
About this Role:
The Department of Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology within the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Research Associate/Laboratory Manager. This position is to manage a very busy, successful research team whose main goal is to develop rationally designed vaccines and diagnostics against high-consequence foreign animal, emerging and zoonotic disease threats such as Rift Valley fever virus, African swine fever virus, and highly pathogenic avian influenza virus. The position requires the individual to display critical thinking, independent judgement, and the ability to organize information as it relates to ongoing and new molecular, viral research with direct guidance from the Research Science Manager and Primary Investigator. The research is conducted at the BSL-2 and BSL-3 level of containment and utilizes several select target animal models such as pigs, cows, chickens and mice.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
Duties / Responsibilities:
• Coordinates personnel activities within the laboratory and animal rooms to maintain research project timelines and study protocols.
• Oversees equipment purchases and maintenance, personnel training to include records updating, maintain supplies within proposed budget and updates inventories of consumables, virus stocks and other laboratory reagents.
• Provides safety expertise, training and maintain records of safety training for laboratory personnel; coordinate safety inspections for the BSL2 and BSL3 laboratories by outside inspection agencies.
• Maintain the BSL3 select agent database and inventory.
• Research, write and review laboratory standard operating procedures for the BSL2 and BSL3 laboratories.
• Assist in the writing and maintenance of IACUC/IBC documentation for all studies conducted by the PI/laboratory personnel. Insure that all personnel are up to date on training and records.
• Assist in the processing of Import permits, Material Transfer Agreements, and shipping documents for the organization.
• Select Agent DOJ clearance is required.
• Provide expertise technical support in recombinant DNA technology, molecular biology techniques such as RT-PCR, PCR, recombinant protein development and production, monoclonal antibody generation and characterization.
• Generate virus-like particles [VLPs], investigate VLPs for vaccine development using serological techniques, develop diagnostic tests or assays, propagating viral stocks.
• Quality control validate recombinant live-vectored/protein/VLP-based prototype vaccines.
• Work with animals [ cows, sheep, pigs and mice- inoculation/bleeding/isolation of peripheral blood mononuclear cells and serum].
• Provide support to Post-Docs and other personnel in the BSL2 and/or BSL3 laboratories.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• Masters degree
• 2 years relevant experience
• Masters or Ph.D. in molecular biology, virology, or related field
• >3 yrs. Laboratory management within a virology, molecular or related field
• Animal handling (rodents and/or livestock/wildlife) experience
• Microsoft Office knowledge and skills
• Cell culture techniques
• Molecular laboratory experience - PCR, RT-PCR, cloning, western blotting, affinity purification of recombinant proteins using eukaryotic/prokaryotic cells or cell-free systems, conducting safety and immunogenicity studies, immunological assays, virological assays, ability to present data to PI and others effectively
• Select Agent and DOJ Clearance are required and hiring dependent upon ability of individual to attain all necessary approvals
• Experience generating live-vectored subunit vaccines, generation and affinity purification of recombinant proteins using eukaryotic/prokaryotic cells or cell-free systems, cell culture techniques, conducting safety and immunogenicity studies in cattle, sheep, pigs, and/or mice hands-on experience conducting, conducting EliSpot assays in mammals or other immunological assays, flow cytometric techniques, PCR, RT-PCR, reverse genetic systems, plaque assays, hemaggutination assay, monoclonal antibody production in mice
• Manuscript editing, poster presentations and/or presentation at local, university or national meetings, published articles in nationally/globally recognized scientific journals
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 46,030 - $ 80,530 annual salary
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Nov 01, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2725330