Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Research Associate (Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology)
Department: 3670080040 Diagnostic Medicne Pathobiolog
Job no: 511381
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Research / Scientific / Grants, Veterinary Medicine
Pay Grade: 08B
About this Role:
The Department of Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology within the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Research Associate. This position for independent research involving viruses such as influenza, Foot and Mount Disease Virus, African swine fever virus, Rift Valley fever virus, Vesicular Stomatis Virus and other select agents. Includes the development of DIVA compatible vaccines for ASF in pigs, a universal vaccine for influenza, pen-side diagnostic development with POCKIT/PCR platform, MAPIA diagnostics, and monoclonal antibody development to select agent recombinant proteins. This position is part of a very busy, successful research team whose main goal is to develop rationally designed vaccines and diagnostics against high-consequence foreign animal, emerging and zoonotic disease threats such as Foot and Mouth Disease, Rift Valley fever virus, African swine fever virus, and highly pathogenic avian influenza virus. The position requires the individual to display critical thinking and independent judgement as it relates to ongoing and new research projects with direct guidance from Science Project Manager and Primary Investigator. The research is conducted at the BSL2 and BSL3 level of containment and utilizes several select target animal models such as pigs, cows, chickens and mice. The position requires the acquisition and maintenance of a DOJ Select Agent clearance.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
Duties / Responsibilities:
• Assist with routine virological and molecular biology techniques such as RT-PCR, PCR, cloning, sequencing of DNA, maintaining various cell cultures, propagating viral stocks
• Work with animals (cows, sheep, pigs and mice - inoculation/bleeding/isolation of peripheral blood mononuclear cells and serum)
• Assist with the development and planning of experiments
• Record experimental data
• Write and edit manuscripts and/or articles for publications and/or presentations
• Process and prepare experimental data for statistical analysis
• Assist with CEEZAD educational outreach and training program
• Hands-on training of new students/visiting scholars/collaborators
• Provide lab management support (lab inventory/manage lab sample repositories), and ensure compliance with university regulations
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• Master's degree
• Two years of relevant experience
• Ability to work with animals in the BSL2 and BSL3 level of biocontainment
• DVM with Advanced Graduate Degree
• Experience in performing research in recombinant DNA technology, bacteria and mammalian cell tissue culture, and working with animals
• Organizational, data analysis, and writing skills are necessary
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 46,951 - $ 82,141 annual salary
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Sep 03, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2479162