Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
IT Research Computing, within the Division of Technology & Security (DTS) at South Dakota State University (SDSU), is announcing an opening for a 12-month, full-time, benefit-eligible Research Compute and Data Application Specialist. This position will support South Dakota State University’s research needs through research computing application, programming, and data flow support services.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to and/or coordinate course offerings that address the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
This position will support the university research community and its collaborators with the planning, coordination, design, implementation, and training associated with research computing applications/programs and data flow services.
- Master’s degree in any discipline completed by start date.
- At least 3 years of experience supporting research computing application experience within-cluster and single server environment(s), supporting CPU and data-intensive research.
- High-Performance Computing application experience in at least one discipline.
- Understanding of the application planning processes.
- Linux system administration knowledge using command-line utilities and experience building programs (scripting).
- Knowledge of deploying and configuring an application within a cluster system software stack and single server environment.
- Experience and understanding of programming concepts and such as the use of Python programs within a parallel compute and single server (non-parallel) compute environment.
- Experience creating high-performance computing batch scripts for compute jobs and with batch job submission.
- Understanding of software build environments and tools.
- Experience training users how to use HPC applications and programs.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of the different Cloud Computing service offerings.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a contributing team member.
- Research computing/related outreach experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A valid driver’s license or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire.
- A Ph.D., ScD or EdD in any discipline complete by start date.
- Research Computing Expertise in at least two scientific disciplines.
- Experience with Slurm cluster resource manager.
- Experience with a Parallel File system environment.
- Experience assisting with writing grant proposals or publications.
$50,427 - $75,000, commensurate with experience, education, etc.
South Dakota State University offers a wide range of benefits, including medical, dental, and flexible benefits, retirement plans, compensation packages, paid holidays, and vacation leave. Employees also have access to internal and state-sponsored training as well as reduced tuition for state-supported courses at all State of South Dakota academic institutions.
SDSU offers a rich academic experience in an environment of inclusion and access through inspired, student-centered education, creative activities and research, innovation and engagement that improve the quality of life in South Dakota, the region, the nation, and the world. Its employees embrace the university’s core values of being people-centered, expanding knowledge through creativity, embracing organizational and personal integrity, commitment to diversity, and excellence through continuous improvement.
As the state’s 1862 Morrill Act land-grant institution, the work of the university is carried out on its main resident campus in Brookings, at sites in Sioux Falls, Pierre, Rapid City, Aberdeen and through Extension offices and Agricultural Experiment Station research sites across South Dakota.
SDSU was recognized as one of 54 institutions in the United States as an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University by the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities in 2014. The university’s total research expenditures are greater than $60 million. SDSU is the state’s first High Research Activity institution as classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Jackrabbits Athletics competes as a NCAA Division I member, with membership in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, the Summit League and the Big XII for wrestling.
Brookings is home to approximately 24,000 residents and is located 60 miles north of Sioux Falls and 200 miles west of Minneapolis. Livability.com rates Brookings as an ideal community for families, students, young professionals, and retirees. It considers Brookings among the safest and most vibrant cities in South Dakota.
The Brookings Public School District educates approximately 3,300 K-12 students and ranks among the state’s highest academic achieving school districts. The district includes three elementary schools, an intermediate school for fourth and fifth grade, one middle school and a high school.
The city also boasts an abundance of attractions and activities, including the Children’s Museum of South Dakota, Dakota Nature Park, South Dakota Art Museum, McCrory Gardens, South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum, Outdoor Adventure Center, and the Brookings Summer Arts Festival.
The position is open until filled with full consideration given to applications received by September 17, 2021.
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on “apply for this job.” This system will guide you through the electronic application form. This employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement, resume, and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, a criminal background check.
South Dakota State University is a tobacco-free environment.
It is the policy of the University to maintain a drug-free environment and to thereby establish, promote, and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for employees and students. This position is subject to South Dakota State University’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy 4:14.
For questions on the position, contact Dr. Shouhong Zhang at (605) 688-5512 or Shouhong.Zhang@sdstate.edu.
South Dakota State University is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Arrangements for accommodations required by disabilities can be made by emailing HR@sdstate.edu. SDSU prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other protected class in the offering of all educational programs and employment opportunities. Individuals with concerns regarding discrimination should contact: Equal Opportunity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, Human Resources, Morrill Hall 100, SDSU, Brookings, SD 57007. Phone: (605) 688-4128.