Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
The Research Coordinator will apply scientific knowledge to coordinate a significant research project or multiple smaller projects focused on suicide prevention within the Institute for Research and Education to Advance Community Health (IREACH).
Participate in developing research designs, data collection methods, and strategies for data management. Coordinate multiple data collection efforts which includes collaborating agencies or institutions including multiple institutional review boards.
Duties may also include recruiting or overseeing the recruitment and interviewing of human subjects, preparing human subject applications, writing and editing technical reports and manuscripts for publication or presentation, developing and monitoring project budgets, preparing progress reports/proposals, and acting as a liaison between the project team and research partners and funding agencies.
Supervises research study staff , hourly research assistants, and/or students as requested by supervisor.
Study Design and Management - 40%
· Independently develops study recruitment, pilot study scientific plans and data collection protocols including materials and procedures.
· Assist with the development of project/research alternatives if the project/research is not compatible with program goals or participating community environment.
· Collaborate with study PIs in designing the study methodology through specific phases of the research projects and independently implementing these designs to achieve stated specific aims. Prepare weekly updates on study progress to PIs and other project leads.
· Develop, implement, and audit systems to assure inter-rater reliability of assessments and fidelity to study interventions, where relevant.
· Manage the quality of study data to ensure adherence to study protocol and compliance with IRB regulations. Collaborate with PIs/Scientific Operations Manager on alternative procedures and training, if protocols are not being met.
· Collaborate with data manager and information technology in development and maintenance of study REDCAP project databases. Direct quality assurance and data cleaning efforts of study databases.
· Establish and maintain tracking system for research subjects to assure all study recruitment and assessment follows study protocols in a timely fashion, and train and support others in utilizing these collection and tracking systems accurately and consistently.
· Establish and manage a secure data transfer system from participating sites to the IREACH Coordinating Center and ensure prompt transfer and data safety.
· Perform regular internal data management audits with Data Manager.
· Exercise independence to design processes for data collection and management, leveraging considerable knowledge of these requirements. Collaborate with analysts and investigators, as needed, to develop resources and procedures to implement these data collection processes.
· Document procedures according to the study protocol and design processes and assure all documentation (e.g., training manuals, IRB protocols, standard operating procedures) are accurate and consistent with each other.
Human Subjects Management and Sample Management - 25%
· Oversee suicide risk management of high-risk suicidal participants by clinicians and assessors in multiple recruitment sites across the country.
· Listen to, and engage, suicidal individuals in their often traumatic stories and situations and support others to do so.
· Coordinate with the study PIs on appropriate response and planning for high-risk participants.
· Develop, coordinate and monitor the day-to-day implementation of all study procedures for recruitment, study intervention, and data collection, including tracking progress.
· Design and implement an accurate and consistent system for tracking adverse events to facilitate reporting to Data Safety Monitoring Boards and IRBs.
· Prepare and present recruitment, data collection and study intervention reports to PIs and supervisor. Troubleshoot problems as they arise and address protocol deviation to IRB coordinator and PI.
· Create study-specific compliance applications, amendments, renewals, informed consent documents and study protocols. Ensure that staff and PIs are aware of policy and procedures concerning human subjects.
· Assist in preparing and analyzing data for presentation at regional and national meetings.
· Collaborate in writing manuscripts for publication and presentation.
Study Budget and Grant Management -15%
· Independently develops study budgets to assure there is sufficient funding to complete each project and adequate planning and timelines for hiring and laying off staff.
· Maintain and reconcile study budgets as money is allocated and spent.
· Independently prepares, establishes and manages subcontracts, including negotiating field staff FTE and other project costs. Assist in preparing progress reports to funders and proposals, as needed.
· Prepares solid drafts of communications and memos to funders to communicate information regarding change of field sites and carryforward requests.
· Coordinate reimbursement for study participation and billing procedures related to study visits. Prepare documents for granting agencies and renewal, interpreting data and guiding future research.
Leadership and Training - 15%
· Train and develop training material and written instructions for study procedures and ensure that all research staff is informed about studies, project(s), protocol(s), and pertinent data security and confidentiality issues.
· Directly supervises hourly field staff ensuring compliance to protocol and IRB regulations, providing support, as needed, and coordinating all logistical efforts. Drafts position descriptions for field staff, provides onboarding training, and troubleshoots issues as they arise.
· Assign work and follow-up to ensure completion. Provide direction as needed.
· Travel, as needed, to study sites to train and direct field staff project procedures and file management, to resolve problems and to conduct project management activities with partners such as project presentation, subcontract management, and to undertake support study findings and data dissemination efforts.
· Support and ensure understanding of confidentiality of participants and data.
· Acts as the main liaison between the IREACH PI and field site PIs and their teams.
Other - 5%
· Other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate related scientific or engineering discipline and three (3) years of progressively responsible related professional research experience. Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis. A Master’s degree in an appropriate related scientific or engineering discipline may be substituted for up to one year of the required work experience.
· Demonstrated professional research experience that includes preparation of IRB documents and understanding of human subjects compliance and regulations.
· Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and competence communicating and working with health professionals, faculty members and researchers, and diverse groups.
· Demonstrated experience with proactive problem-solving skills, the ability to work independently, and the ability to take the appropriate autonomous initiative to carry out study-related functions with human subjects.
· Evidence of strong interpersonal skills and competence communicating and working with emotionally distressed, intoxicated, and/or suicidal individuals who are participating in studies.
· Evidence of independence, excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational ability, effective time management skills, strong problem-solving skills, and high attention to detail.
· Experience in the Microsoft Office suite of products.
· Must be willing to work evenings and weekends on occasion to meet the needs of the project, including scheduling participant visits and contacts, as well as meeting project deadlines.
· Ability to travel, including overnight.
· Master’s degree in social work, psychology, social sciences, or other related field.
· Experience working with American Indian/Alaska Native populations.
· Experience working with individuals who are suicidal or have made suicide attempts, have alcohol or substance use disorders, are psychotic and/or have borderline personality disorder.
· Experience using Microsoft SharePoint for collaboration.