Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Research Technician - Part Time (Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory)
Department: 3670080080 Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
Job no: 511462
Employment type: Temporary Part-time
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Research / Scientific / Grants, Veterinary Medicine
Pay Grade: 04B
About this Role:
The Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (KSVDL) within the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a temporary, part-time Research Technician. The individual in this position will be primarily responsible for the setup of diagnostic specimens in the clinical microbiology section of the KSVDL. The specific tasks involved include: entering case information and requested tests into the LIMS and daily case log sheets, assisting in maintaining a proper stock of microbiological media, assisting in diagnostic workups and participating in laboratory QC procedures.
The position will, at times, required prolonged periods of work in a biological safety cabinet.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
Duties / Responsibilities:
• Perform microbiological setup of clinical specimens using laboratory SOPs. This position is responsible for labeling and inoculating selective culture media appropriate for the diagnostic test(s) requested or specimen received. Necessary case data will be entered into the daily case log and LIMS. Be available on Saturdays to set up cases and read susceptibility test results.
• Inventory control. This position is responsible for assisting the microbiologists in maintaining proper media inventories, pulling outdated media stocks and reordering/stocking supplies.
• This position will assist the microbiologists in maintaining quality control within the laboratory. The primary responsibilities are to prepare fresh quality control isolates weekly/monthly as dictated by SOP. Other quality control processes may include, but are not limited to, routine equipment QC monitoring and running proficiency test specimens consistent with AAVLD laboratory requirements.
• This position may be responsible for assisting in reading of diagnostic cases. Duties may include selection of isolates for identification confirmation and setup of antimicrobial susceptibility tests.
• Assist with maintaining cleanliness of the laboratory workspaces. Primary responsibility of this position is to ensure that infectious materials are removed from the laboratory in a timely manner and disposed of according to laboratory SOP and consistent with university EH&S policies.
• Assist with research projects that present to the clinical microbiology laboratory. Individuals in this position must be willing to learn new techniques that may be required to complete these projects.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• High school diploma
• Bachelor's degree in microbiology, biology, chemistry or animal science
• Experience in a microbiology / diagnostic laboratory setting
• Basic computer skills and the ability to use a laboratory information database are essential
• Organizational and communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment are necessary
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$14.04 - $ 23.86 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Sep 17, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled