Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Safety & Health Officer
Department: 3670070010 Public Safety
Job no: 510675
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Regular)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Health & Safety
Pay Grade: 09A
About this Role:
The Safety and Health Officer is part of the Department of Environmental Health and Safety for K-State. They support safety, health, and compliance programs for university activities.
• Assists or conducts health and safety inspections and compliance audits.
• Prepares timely, accurate, and complete reports of assessment or inspection findings.
• Operates and calibrates a variety of sampling and monitoring instruments
• Assists or performs job hazard analyses and recommends procedural or administrative controls and/or personal protective equipment (PPE) to reduce risk to works and students.
• Assists with equipment testing/inspection (e.g., fume hood, local exhaust systems).
• Performs personnel and area monitoring or sampling. Researches appropriate test/sample methods.
• Assists with Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ) assessments.
• Participates as a member or supports the hazardous materials response team.
• Maintains records in databases.
• Review/edit/write institutional safety documents to meet federal, state, and local regulatory requirements.
Why Join Us:
This position is in the picturesque Manhattan campus. K-State is wildcat country and the Safety and Health Officer is instrumental in keeping every wildcat safe. The position is a vital part of the team whose mission is to support uninterrupted research and learning within a safe and healthy environment. Learn about the Environmental Health and Safety team at: http://www.ksu.edu/safety/
Kansas State offers job stability, longevity, and a broad variety of benefits, including an 8.5% company paid retirement for Unclassified positions. Full-time employees earn 8 hours of vacation per pay period, with a maximum of 304 hours, in addition to sick time and all https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/holidays recognized by the State of Kansas. https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/financial/tuition/index.html is also provided to the Safety & Health Officer.
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
What You'll Need to Succeed:
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety and Health, Safety Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Public Health, or related science or engineering discipline (e.g. toxicology, environmental health)
• Three years of related experience. (This position may use an educational equivalency to substitute for two years of professional experience.)
• Master's degree in industrial hygiene or a related field may substitute for two years of professional experience
• Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) may substitute for a closely related degree
• Experience in laboratory safety, inspections, and/or past experience working in a laboratory setting
• Knowledge of industrial hygiene exposure assessment procedures (sampling techniques/instrumentation, sample analysis) and selection/implementation of controls
• Knowledge in risk analysis and risk communication
• Knowledge and ability to evaluate hazard controls and exposure data
• Proficient computer skills
• Detail-oriented and strong organization and record-keeping skills
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work and communicate effectively with ethnic, cultural, and socially diverse populations
• Knowledge or coursework in physical and toxicological effects of occupational hazards, chemistry, and engineering principles
• Knowledge of OSHA, EPA, and other relevant regulations
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
• Ability to transport up to 50 lbs.
• Ability to be medically cleared/approved to wear respiratory protection, including SCBA.
• Driver's license upon hire
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Cover letter
• Three professional references with contact information
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled.
Anticipated Hiring Range:
$21.51 - $33.34 per hour ($44,747 - $69,350 annually)
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Nov 05, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2725358