Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Extension SBDC Business Counselor - Columbia, MO
Job ID: 38400
Please apply at https://hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job/academic
HEADQUARTERED: Small Business Development Center – Columbia, MO
The University of Missouri (MU) Office of Extension and Engagement’s distinct land-grant mission is to improve lives, communities, and economies by producing relevant, reliable, and responsive educational strategies throughout Missouri. Our dedicated and knowledgeable faculty and staff collaborate with researchers and community leaders to develop and deliver programs that address needs of Missourians including educational attainment; environmental concerns; community, economic, business and workforce development; global food systems; and health systems. For more information about MU Extension and Engagement, please visit http://extension.missouri.edu.
This position has responsibilities with the Missouri Small Business Development Centers.
MU Extension Business Development program is an important component of the state’s economic development strategy and the University of Missouri’s economic development mission through providing education and assistance to businesses throughout Missouri. For more information about extension’s business programs visit http://www.missouribusiness.net/. For more information about MU Extension, visit www.extension.missouri.edu.
Primary purpose of the Small Business Development Center Counselor role is to transform Missouri business and industry through education, technical service, and collaboration by working with small to medium size companies to improve bottom-line performance. Plan, implement and evaluate business programs and services utilizing research-based knowledge in business growth, strategic planning, technology development, government contracting, marketing, management, finance, capital formation, operations, human resources, business start-up and business growth/sustainability, as well as other timely business-related topics to assist existing and new entrepreneurs.
This position primarily serves as a business counselor in the Columbia region, with emphasis in finance, management, marketing, commercialization, product development and growth management. Additionally, serve as a liaison with the local institutions of higher-Ed to facilitate opportunities for student experiential learning throughout Missouri.
This position will have a working title of Business Counselor and a MU title of Extension Instructor.
This is a 12-month academic position.
Client Consultation and Technical Assistance
· Provide business coaching to entrepreneurial companies in starting, growing, and operating businesses ventures that result in economic and societal outcomes. Develop and provide high-quality educational programs that are consistent with the MU Extension mission, are research- and evidence-based, and result in learning and behavior changes that positively impact the economy and society. Foster diversity and inclusiveness by providing educational programs that are representative of diversity in the assigned counties. Lead faculty and student teams focused on developing technology solutions through programs such as MU I-Corps, TECH-SERIES, faculty boot camps and other SBDC training courses.
· Serve as a critical link between Missouri companies and the faculty, research staff, and students of the University of Missouri, the University of Missouri-St. Louis, Washington University, St. Louis University, community colleges, the Business Development Program and Lincoln University. Participate in interdisciplinary teams, committees, and task forces. Work with faculty and staff located throughout Missouri, across program disciplines, with boards and organizations and with other campuses throughout Missouri to carry out the mission, vision, and values of MU Extension. Develop and maintain external strategic partnerships to ensure effective client outreach in support of organizational goals and objectives.
· Facilitate significant economic impact by achieving goals in new sales, new jobs, business investments, quality and quantity of stakeholder relations, revenue generation as well as other metrics negotiated with stakeholders.
· Regularly collect qualitative and quantitative data to evaluate the impact of educational programs and services. Determine if knowledge and skills were learned, and if learning was applied. Understand customer trends, competitive services and national issues that could potentially impact industrial engagement and organizational success.
· Conduct in-depth research and provide technical support to clients; serve as a mentor on complex contracting topics; perform a lead role in analyzing client needs and assessing the effectiveness of client action plans; provide technical feedback to clients.
· Develop strategies to acquire small business clients that includes using traditional and web-based communications tools; lead, coordinate and conduct outreach activities that includes developing partnerships with federal, state, and local government agencies, public agencies, prime contractors, industry/business partners and other organizations.
· Support the Missouri Business Development Program system through service on various ad hoc committees, task forces and teams engaged in product development planning or process implementation. Participate in regional planning efforts and assist in implementation of regional plan.
· Develop long-term relationships with federal, state, and local government contracting personnel as well as large prime contractors.
· Travel to client sites, events and training as budget allows. Attend outreach events to build awareness of SBDC services. Actively network and promote the program to area lenders, economic developers and chambers through speaking engagements or collaboration on training events and other projects.
· Collaborate with other Business Counselors throughout the state and region to share best practices.
· As with all positions, involvement with other duties and responsibilities will be expected to support the mission and purpose of MU Extension.
Administrative and organizational leadership
· Stakeholder relations: Establish positive working relationships with the local and regional economic development organizations, critical community governments, and federal and state agency offices in region, chambers of commerce and business stakeholders. Develop and maintain essential partnerships with local and regional organizations, governments, and key leaders. Effectively communicate MU Extension’s value to stakeholders.
· Marketing and public relations: Market educational offerings and promote the mission of MU Extension to area leaders, chambers of commerce, civic organizations, public agencies, and other partner organizations. This may include presentations, radio and news releases, meetings with legislators and other leaders, social media, and other venues appropriate for the programs and audiences.
· Remain up to date on trends and research-based knowledge to effectively deliver relevant, reliable, and responsive programs. Apply this knowledge in scholarly products such as curriculum development, in-service education instruction, articles in professional and popular press, presentations at professional meetings, funded grant proposals, etc.
· Actively participate in professional development opportunities to continuously improve skills and increase research-based knowledge. Demonstrate mastery of core competencies, including subject matter expertise, effective and innovative teaching strategies, and program development processes. Must be able to integrate new and emerging technology, listen effectively, and speak and write effectively. Must demonstrate organizational skills and collaborative leadership abilities.
· Must travel throughout Missouri regularly, using own transportation, and occasionally must travel out of state. Working evenings and weekends is required to meet the needs of constituents.
· Conduct all activities in accordance with the Civil Rights Acts, Title IX, Rehabilitation, Americans with Disabilities Act and local, state and region affirmative action plans.
The University of Missouri, also known as Mizzou and MU, is the Flagship University of the four-campus University of Missouri system. It is the state’s land-grant university and one of the most comprehensive universities in the United States. MU’s broad undergraduate programs and its’ graduate, professional and research programs attract annual enrollment of more than 30,000 students. MU is centrally located in Columbia, MO, which is consistently ranked as one of America’s most livable cities. MU Extension programs are located on all four campuses and in 114 counties and St. Louis city.
LEADERSHIP RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Administrative supervision and program leadership are received from the Business Development Program Education Director. Program supervision will come from the Columbia SBDC Regional Director.
An earned bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, business education, or related area at time of appointment.
Candidates will be evaluated on:
Appropriate coursework exhibited is required, plus five or more years’ experience in business management, marketing, or finance.
Related areas include government procurement, marketing, finance, accounting, management, human resources, operations management, e-commerce, or entrepreneurship. Demonstrated ability in applying and transferring research-based knowledge in the above subject matter areas.
Ideal candidate will also have successful experiences in operating and managing a business, providing consulting, and/or owning a business.
Ideal candidates will also hold a master’s degree from an accredited institution in business, engineering, business education; related areas include government procurement, marketing, finance, accounting, business management.
Experience in emerging and second-stage business and innovation-led businesses, fostering support with minority and under-served populations. The support would be focused on Columbia, Missouri.
Candidates must demonstrate they are authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship of U.S. temporary employment visas will not be offered for this position.
Successful candidate will also demonstrate the following:
Experience and understanding of “Lean Launchpad” / I-Corps curriculum.
An understanding of and the ability to explore the financial implications of business decisions on a company’s cash flow.
An understanding of the requirements and processes related to government procurement, contracting, and the necessary registrations (8a, SAMs, etc…)
Experience and understanding SBIR / STTR grants and the ability to provide technical assistance to “tech” clients.
Effective and innovative teaching strategies that engage others. Must be able to integrate new and emerging technology into teaching strategies.
Effective listening, written and oral communication skills including public speaking and presentation abilities.
Organizational skills, interpersonal skills, problem-solving abilities, and collaborative leadership experiences.
Flexibility, resiliency, and the ability to operate with minimal guidance.
Positive outlook, high personal standard of excellence, and passion for the vision, mission, and values of MU Extension.
Complete the brief online application and be prepared to upload:
· Cover Letter
· Copies of all academic transcripts, and
· a list of 3-5 references
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff, and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery, and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment based on their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination based on their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations, or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Disability Inclusion and ADA Compliance Manager at 573-884-7278.
EEO IS THE LAW
Extension SBDC Business Counselor - Columbia, MO
Job ID: 38400
Please apply at https://hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job/academic