Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Senior Manager for Marketing and Communications
College of Agricultural Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
University of Illinois Extension
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
WE TRANSFORM LIVES.
Everything we do is designed to improve the quality of life of the people in the state of Illinois, across the nation, and around the world. We discover, develop, translate, and disseminate knowledge to address societal concerns and train the next generation of experts and leaders in a way that empowers them to expand the boundaries of science to higher levels of understanding and influence.
Be a part of our story. Through learning partnerships that extend knowledge and change lives, University of Illinois Extension provides educational programs aimed at making life better, healthier, safer, and more profitable for individuals and their communities. Illinois Extension has operated continuously for more than 100 years connecting the citizens of Illinois to their land-grant university by providing educational programming around the state. University of Illinois Extension is based in the College of ACES and works with all colleges and units of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The Senior Manager for Marketing and Communications serves as a regular, full time, 12-month position with primary responsibility for implementing strategic messaging, leading media relations and brand reputation efforts, providing team supervision and mentorship, and executing internal communications as part of the statewide Extension communications team.
The Senior Manager for Marketing and Communications will be located in Urbana-Champaign on the University of Illinois campus (remote and flexible working arrangements are negotiable for this position) and will report to the Director of Communications for University of Illinois Extension.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Increase organizational visibility statewide through relationship building, media relations efforts, and leveraging assets
· Lead the disseminate of news items, feature stories, and the state-level messages by utilizing press releases, social media, and partnerships/media relationships in collaboration with the writing, digital strategy, and translation services staff
· Oversee the creation and prioritization of feature stories while balancing Extension’s multiple stakeholders and audiences
· Proof and edit documents, ensuring consistency of brand voice, tone, and style across the organization
· Assist in developing key messaging strategies and communications tools that may include brand personas, creative briefs, and pitch kits
· Help lead the communications team in collaboratively identifying and pursuing strategic promotional, trade, and paid advertisement opportunities.
· Assist in budgeting and financial accountability on communications expenditures
· Work with the Art Director to ensure brand unity; collaborate on photography, videography, and storyboarding systems and deliverables
· Support project manager in overseeing campaigns end to end
· Manage administration of strategic marketing and communications priorities including the creation of appropriate written plans and documentation.
· Provide guidance about adoption and adaptation of emerging marketing and communications trends.
· Supervise two media communications coordinators, digital strategist, and translation specialist, extra help staff, and student interns assigned to marketing and communications projects. Conduct performance reviews, provide real-time feedback on project quality and administration, set learning and development goals, and provide supportive and corrective action when needed
· Mentor and provide guidance to other members of the marketing and communications team, fostering collaboration, accountability, and an inclusive work environment
· Collaborate with the Project Manager to keep clients informed and projects on deadline
· Build strong relationships throughout Illinois Extension, the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, and with affiliate organizations
· Weekly marketing updates
· Define publicity goals, analyze metrics, and prepare regular, timely marketing campaign reports, including print, digital, and social performance metrics in cooperation with the Digital Strategist; develop appropriate reporting mechanisms to facilitate easy and regular, actionable analysis of tactical performance
· Participate in and prepare marketing and communications training sessions for colleagues throughout the organization
· Comply with all University of Illinois Extension Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines; assists Unit staff with data collection for Affirmative Action, Gender, and Targeted reports
· Other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations, or a closely related field.
· Five years of professional work experience in marketing, public relations, communications, brand management, or a related professional area in a corporate, private or public environment. Demonstrated leadership and team building experience. Demonstrated advertising and brand messaging experience. Project management experience.
· Master's degree in communications, marketing, education, business administration, design, international relations, public relations, or closely related field. Bachelor’s degree in education, design, international relations or closely related field.
· 10+ years of professional experience in marketing, public relations, publicity, or communications or closely related field. Experience working in higher education or public engagement. Supervisory experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Knowledge of purpose and mission of the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences and University of Illinois Extension and demonstrated knowledge of best practices in accessible marketing and communications is preferred.
To perform the functions of this position, the employee will be required to perform work both within an office and outside in the communities that are served, and must have the capability to travel from one location to the other in a timely fashion. A valid driver’s license is preferred. Employee is responsible for securing personal transportation. Some work will be required during evenings and/or weekends. When working, the employee may be exposed to a variety of environmental factors to include, but not limited to, hot or cold weather, exposure to noise and allergens, and uneven ground. In performing the functions of this position, the employee may be subjected to various mental and physical demands as well to include, but not limited to, independently traveling to and performing work at different locations, lifting and moving items that may occasionally weigh up to forty (40) pounds and frequently weigh up to twenty (20) pounds, and twisting, pushing and pulling movements.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
This position is a full-time, benefits-eligible, exempt, Civil Service Marketing Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience. One position available for hire.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION:
Applications must be received by July 6, 2022. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button here: https://go.illinois.edu/166783. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. Please be sure to address how you meet each requirement of the position in your cover letter and/or resume. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and names/contact information for three references. Academic credentials are verified at the time of hire.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Ashley Grilo (firstname.lastname@example.org). For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption in accordance with applicable University processes.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
Out-of-state candidates must establish Illinois residency within 180 calendar days of the start date for this position. Illinois residency requires proof of a valid Illinois Driver’s License or state of Illinois ID Card. Failure to produce the required documentation within 180 calendar days will result in immediate termination of employment.