Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SNAP-Ed Nutrition Educator, Northwest KS
Department: 3670035110 Extension Nutrition Progrm
Job no: 512386
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Categories: Nutrition, Health & Safety, Extension Agent / Educator, Family & Consumer Sciences, Food Safety
Pay Grade: 04A
About This Role:
The Extension Nutrition Program, within K-State Research and Extension, is currently seeking a full-time Nutrition Educator. The Nutrition Educator serves to meet the Kansas Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed) mission of empowering low-income Kansans using evidence-based strategies to achieve healthy lives and reduce health disparities. Specific strategies include direct education in various settings, community based projects to address policy, system or environmental changes and public health approaches to help children, families and adults improve dietary quality and food resource management skills and increase physical activity. This position reports to the Northwest Area Regional
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Collaborate with County Extension Agent(s) to assess the nutrition and health needs of low-income residents.
• Coordinate, prepare and deliver curriculum-based nutrition education programming to limited resource groups and individuals of various ages in settings such as: Housing Authorities, Food Banks, Schools, etc.
• Develop partnerships and contacts with local service agencies, school districts and other community organizations.
• Serve as the local SNAP-Ed program and K-State Research & Extension representative for Northwest Kansas.
• Participate in local community coalitions to promote, implement and support initiatives for Policy, System and Environmental changes related to SNAP-Ed goals and objectives.
• Gather data and compile county SNAP-Ed reports and records for submission to the state SNAP-Ed office on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
This position will serve communities in Northwest Kansas, including but not limited to Cottonwood Extension District, which has offices in Hays and Great Bend and the Midway Extension District which has offices in Russell and Ellsworth. Primary office location will be negotiable within the Cottonwood Extension District of Hays and Great Bend. Regular travel to various sites within the service area is required, along with occasional overnight travel for trainings (approximately 3-4 times per year).
Why Join Us:
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed) is a nutrition education program provided at no cost to Kansas families with limited resources. Our goal is to provide nutrition education to individuals and families who receive food assistance or who are eligible to receive food assistance. In addition, we promote, implement and support initiatives for Policy, System and Environmental changes to improve dietary quality, prevent obesity and increase physical activity. SNAP-Ed is sponsored by the USDA through a contract with the Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF) and implemented by Kansas State Research and Extension (KSRE).
For more information go to https://www.k-state.edu/ks-snaped/
This position is benefits eligible: health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, tuition assistance program, paid time off-vacation, sick leave and holidays. To learn more visit: http://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Bachelor's Degree
• Bachelor's Degree in Nutrition, Family and Consumer Sciences, Public Health, Education or closely related field
• Knowledge of, and experience working with, limited resource families, diverse audiences and subject matter including food safety
• Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, confident speaking in front of groups and facilitating meetings
• Demonstrated leadership skills in community health promotion and delivery of educational programs
• Experience complying with grant reporting requirements and policies and procedures
• Knowledge and/or experience of public health approaches to promote policy, system and environmental changes and improve access to healthy food and physical activity opportunities
• Ability to communicate effectively with both English and Spanish-Speaking learners.
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
• Valid driver's license, proof of vehicle insurance and reliable transportation
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Cover letter
• Three professional references Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
For more information, please contact Janelle VanKooten at mailto:email@example.com.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
$17.00 - $18.00/hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Feb 22, 2022
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2875265