Temporary, Part-Time Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Officer
As APLU focuses more intentionally on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) work, it is seeking a part-time, temporary DEI Officer to drive its internal DEI work. The six-monthlong position will allow APLU to make substantive progress in this area while also allowing the association time to consider the best long-term staffing approach.
Reporting directly to the President, the incumbent will work closely with the Vice President for External Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and other APLU leadership to facilitate the broad engagement of APLU staff to successfully meet objectives.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer, Internal
- Work with the President, Chief Strategy Officer, HR Director, and other APLU leaders to establish and embed DEI values and perspectives in the organization’s internal initiatives, programs, policies and practices.
- Provide advice to the President on issues of strategic importance to the organization, ensuring that the values of diversity, equity and inclusion are considered in decision-making processes.
- with the DEI Committee on the organization-wide climate assessment.
- Assist the HR Director in developing an inclusive process to review APLU’s key procedures and policies to promote the recruitment, development, advancement, retention and engagement of a diverse and inclusive workforce. Provide advice on these procedures and policies to ensure they reflect APLU’s values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Work with the HR Director to identify and implement staff development and training opportunities to promote a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization.
- Identify and provide opportunities to celebrate the diversity of the various staff backgrounds at APLU, including but not limited to, race, age, gender, ethnicity, religion, socioeconomic background, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression.
- Work closely with the Vice President for External Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to insure internal and external DEI efforts are seamless and integrated
- Experience leading diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, preferably in a non-profit/association setting.
- Deep understanding of all aspects of diversity issues and the application to a non-profit setting.
- Proven ability to balance strategic, creative thinking and visionary skills with the tactical implementation of new initiatives.
- Excellent change management and process improvement skills, including the ability to navigate change within the organization by developing consensus and building buy in, especially when there are competing interests and challenges.
- Ability to understand and utilize data (both quantitative and qualitative) to accurately diagnose key issues and develop strategies and plans.
- Proven ability to build successful and effective relationships with individuals at all levels of an organization.
- Exceptional communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills.
- Experience designing, implement and evaluating training related to diversity, equity an inclusion.
- Exceptional discretion, judgment and ability to handle confidential information appropriately and with tact.
- Demonstrated commitment to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Supervisor: APLU President
Duration: Six Months
FTE: Up to half-time
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest (no longer than three pages) and resume to Peter McPherson, President (email@example.com), and Michelle Szechenyi, HR Director (firstname.lastname@example.org), by Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 5 p.m. EDT. The letter should detail why the candidate is interested and their qualifications for the role. As part of the interview process, candidates should be prepared to make a brief presentation to the Search Committee outlining how the candidate would approach the position and some examples of what an association such as APLU should do to improve its diversity, equity, and inclusion work. This will be followed by a question and answer period.
Any questions on either role should be directed to Peter McPherson, President, at email@example.com.