JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: This position is located in Fayette County, Ohio.
The Ohio State University Extension Educator will work collaboratively with county, center, area and state teams of Ohio State University (OSU) Extension professionals and with local agency leaders and volunteers to provide leadership for Community Development programming targeted to local and area needs. Responsible for a broad range of basic to complex duties that could include, but are not limited to, providing guidance and/or leadership for Economic Development, Business Retention and Expansion, Leadership Development, Community Planning and Improvement, and Organizational Development (i.e. Community Development) programming targeted to local and regional needs. Utilize appropriate methods, both formal and informal, of community assessment to identify educational needs and opportunities of the local community. Design, implement, and teach educational programming, based on these needs, to groups and individuals comprised of adults and/or youth. May also convene and facilitate community coalitions focused on those needs. May be required to replicate and adhere to existing programs that meet the needs of their local community. Develop promotional materials, work with and/or lead committees and volunteers, and establish and maintain partnerships within the community that support the achievement of the program goals. Evaluate educational programs and dissemination methods, as well as utilize existing evaluation instruments to evaluate the teaching effectiveness, program quality, and results of local programs. Participate in discussions with county representatives concerning program funding and may be responsible for securing external funds to support local programming. Participate as a member of county, multi-county, and/or state Extension teams to further the overall mission, vision, and values of both OSU Extension and Community Development. The Educator will participate in continued professional development that leads to distinction within specialty. This position is located in Fayette County, Ohio.
- Plan, teach, and evaluate educational programs that support rural economic and business development with a focus on building/enhancing systems and creating new economic development opportunities. Develop plans of related local and regional partnerships and initiatives, as applicable. Establish and foster collaborative opportunities with other local and regional community and economic development organizations to develop a strategic plan for economic development, and to ensure the enhancement of value-added activities which enrich Fayette County, Ohio. Plan, organize, produce, and distribute educational materials and programming informed by a strategic plan for economic development in collaboration with and for elected and appointed public officials, local business community leaders, current and emerging influential community leaders, and community groups and organizations. Assist the County Auditor in maintaining information for the tax incentive review committee. Develop and work closely with local community development advisory committee(s) and similar community forums to assess needs and assist in the development and evaluation of Extension programs. Effectively utilize various teaching methods to assist the community in designing a balanced economic development approach which considers the following strategies: Retention and Expansion of Existing Business, Entrepreneurship Development, and Acquisition of Public Grants and Projects. Market and promote Fayette County as a business location to prospective businesses and industry. Develop and maintain positive relationships with developers, consultants, firms, and government officials/agencies involved in the field of economic development. Ensure diversity among potential clientele and learners, and equal access to programs and facilities without regard to age, race, creed, color, handicap, sex, sexual orientation, developmental disability, national origin, marital status, arrest, or nonprogram related conviction record.
- Conduct community data analysis to increase the local knowledge base necessary for informed individual and community decision-making. Proactively seek out and administer grants and other financial incentives that promote economic development, revitalization, community improvement, and infrastructure development projects. Assist business clients on financing and development of incentive programs. Identify and participate in research projects related to community development programming and wealth management. Identify and secure additional external funding that supports/enhances educational programming and/or supports the replication of best practices on a regional or statewide basis. Plan and implement appropriate impact evaluations and reports to improve and document program effectiveness. Provide relevant program outcome information to public officials, legislators, other stakeholders, and the general public.
- Work closely with Local businesses and schools to develop and implement workforce development programs that enhance connections between young people and our industries. Convenes and facilitates community coalitions focused on local needs and issues. Establishes and maintains partnerships within the community that support achievement of program goals. Leads committees and volunteers. Communicates with clientele, peers and support teams.
- Evaluates education programs and dissemination methods. Utilize existing evaluation instruments to evaluate teaching effectiveness, program quality, and results. Designs and conducts evaluations on program quality and results. Participates in continued professional development that leads to distinction within specialty. Conducts applied research projects.
- Holds leadership roles and utilizes specialization in county, multi-county and statewide Extension work groups and teams. Assumes leadership in professional associations at state or national level. Participates in the training and mentoring of less senior employees. Holds leadership roles and utilizes specialization at state, multi-state and national levels. Represents OSU Extension to external audiences.
Resume and Cover Letter are to be included at time of application.
QUALIFICATIONS: An earned Master’s Degree or 5 years’ experience in economic development, local government, public sector economics, political science, business management, or local community planning.
This posting is for an Extension Educator (1, 2, or 3); salary and Educator level for final candidate will be determined by years of experience and education level:
Extension Educator 1
Requires a bachelor’s Degree
Salary Range: $34,830-$48,000
Extension Educator 2
Requires a master’s Degree
Salary Range: $43,500-$53,508
Extension Educator 3
Requires a master’s Degree and 11+ years of direct or related work experience
Salary Range: $51,000-$63,036
Join the Conversation