Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SENIOR PROGRAM LEAD, FINANCE AND OPERATIONS – 1017362
University of Illinois Extension
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
WE TRANSFORM LIVES.
Everything we do is designed to improve the quality of life of the people in the state of Illinois, across the nation, and around the world. We discover, develop, translate, and disseminate knowledge to address societal concerns and train the next generation of experts and leaders in a way that empowers them to expand the boundaries of science to higher levels of understanding and influence.
Be a part of our story. Through learning partnerships that extend knowledge and change lives, University of Illinois Extension provides educational programs aimed at making life better, healthier, safer, and more profitable for individuals and their communities. Illinois Extension has operated continuously for more than 100 years connecting the citizens of Illinois to their land-grant university by providing educational programming around the state. University of Illinois Extension is based in the College of ACES and works with all colleges and units of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The Senior Program Lead, Finance and Operations serves as a regular, full time, 12 month academic professional with primary responsibility for overseeing the business, financial, and personnel aspects of the Extension 4-H Youth Development program. The position is part of the State 4-H Office based in Champaign, IL that provides program leadership for 4-H activities delivered by staff in all 102 counties and metro areas of the state. This position will be responsible for providing strategic leadership in budgeting and fiscal operations of approximately $6 million on an annual basis and leadership for operations for the State 4-H Office.
One full time position is available.
Location: State 4-H Office, Champaign, IL
(Hybrid work schedule is available)
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
Specific responsibilities of the Senior Program Lead, Finance and Operations are as follows:
· Provide leadership and accountability for the allocation and management of budget and financial operations of 4-H grants and funds in compliance with federal, campus and donor guidelines.
· Serve as financial liaison with campus, IL 4-H Foundation, Champaign County 4-H and Extension Foundation, and Extension units with authority to make high level decisions on behalf of the Assistant Dean, 4-H Youth Development.
· Provide leadership and accountability for management of approximately .7 million annual Ag Premium Fund approvals, reporting and payment distribution in partnership with Illinois Department of Agriculture.
· Provide leadership in conducting internal program reviews to assess grant compliance and areas for improvement. Provide leadership for implementing changes necessary with appropriate teams.
· Negotiate contracts in relation to areas such as grant programs, royalty agreements, publication sales and operations. Lead efforts to ensure timely filing with campus administrative units.
· Perform fiscal, human resources, and business-related practice analyses for 4-H. When necessary, establish new policy to meet external rules and regulations as well as needs of the 4-H program.
· Conduct regular and comprehensive evaluations and assessments of the quality and effectiveness of fiscal and operational procedures for the State 4-H Office, including compliance with civil rights procedures. Make changes based on evaluations.
· Collaborate with 4-H Director and State 4-H Staff to ensure streamlined and efficient 4-H operations.
· Serve as direct supervisor to Administrative Support and Events Coordination staff for State 4-H Office, convening and leading collaborative work in support of all state and national-level 4-H events, including State 4-H Awards Program and State 4-H General Project Show.
· Provide training and mentoring for 4-H staff in relation to financial operations, grant management and club fiscal operations.
· Direct interdisciplinary committees and programs as assigned.
· Serve on appropriate committees and work with appropriate organizations to provide for continual communication to improve 4-H operations as assigned.
· Perform other duties that contribute to the mission of University of Illinois Extension as assigned.
· Oversee development and preparation of program budgets and fiscal strategy for State 4-H Office funds.
· Provide monthly reports regarding fiscal operations to Assistant Dean.
· Provide leadership in monitoring and forecasting annual expenditure of .5-1 million from gift funds held in IL 4-H Foundation to support State 4-H Office program priorities.
· Direct and supervise staff working on fiscal monitoring and reporting for grants that run through the State 4-H Office. Review monthly expenditures for grant programs. Interpret discrepancies and direct administrative support staff on how to resolve issues.
· Review and approve fiscal documentation on behalf of the Assistant Dean or other grant PIs.
Human Resource Development
· Direct supervision for 5 person administrative support and event coordination team in the State 4-H Office.
· Provide leadership for human resources procedures in the State 4-H such as payroll. Liaison with college human resource office to assist in hiring processes.
· Comply with Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines in all aspects of University of Illinois Extension work.
· Assist staff with data collection for affirmative action, gender, and targeted reports.
· Perform other duties that contribute to University of Illinois Extension fiscal operations, as assigned.
· Local, regional and statewide travel required; personal transportation required.
· To perform the functions of this position, the employee will be required to perform work both within an office and outside in the communities that are served, and must have the capability to travel from one location to the other in a timely fashion. Employee is responsible for securing personal transportation. A valid driver’s license is preferred. Some work will be required during evenings and/or weekends. When working, the employee may be exposed to a variety of environmental factors to include, but not limited to, hot or cold weather, exposure to noise and allergens, and uneven ground. In performing the functions of this position, the employee may be subjected to various mental and physical demands as well to include, but not limited to, independently traveling to and performing work at different locations, lifting and moving items that may occasionally weigh up to forty (40) pounds and frequently weigh up to twenty (20) pounds, and twisting, pushing and pulling movements. More detailed information regarding the functions of this position (including the physical, mental and environmental requirements of the position) may be obtained from Human Resources for the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES) by contacting email@example.com.
The Senior Program Lead, Finance and Operations is administratively responsible to the Assistant Dean, 4-H Youth Development.
· Master’s degree in public administration, business, fiscal or related degree. Candidates with a Master’s degree in progress may be considered for interviews, but degree must be completed by hire date.
· At least five years of full-time relevant professional experience.
· Demonstrated effectiveness in preparing budget strategy and forecasting.
· Experience within University of Illinois Extension.
· Familiarity with 4-H operations.
· Prior experience with IRS filing.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Demonstrated ability to mentor and support interdisciplinary teams. Strong oral and written communication skills. Understanding of business procedures in higher education. Understanding of higher ed, Extension and/or 4-H systems. Demonstrated progressive, innovative, and effective program leadership/management.
Immigration sponsorship is not available for the position. This position is a full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenure academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Generous vacation and sick leave. State Universities Retirement System. Group health, dental, vision and life insurance.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE To apply, go to https://go.illinois.edu/1017362. Please upload a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for three professional references. Resume dates submitted must be in month/year format and employment history, at a minimum, should include all work dating back to the completion of your undergraduate degree. Positions that were less than full-time/100% must be noted as being part-time. Transcripts may be requested at a later date. To receive full consideration, all requested application materials must be submitted via the online system by the close date of May 18, 2023.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.
For further information about the position please contact search chair Christina Edgington at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137
Join the Conversation