The University of Illinois Chicago is seeking a highly skilled and results-oriented marketing leader to position, elevate and advance the university. Serving as an Associate Vice Chancellor for Marketing is a unique opportunity to serve in a leadership role in the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Strategic Marketing and Communications (SMC). Through market research, analytics and a deep understanding of an optimal constituent experience, SMC is charged with enhancing, elevating, stewarding, amplifying and protecting the university’s reputation, visibility and reach throughout the state, nationally and globally.
As a new role, the Associate Vice Chancellor for Marketing is of great importance to the university and a rewarding and challenging opportunity to anchor marketing leadership by supporting faculty eminence, student success, innovative research and building lasting partnerships throughout the city of Chicago. The Associate Vice Chancellor for Marketing will work in-person and lead brand management (brand alignment, toolkits, collateral materials, advertising, outdoor), creative communications (graphic design, photography, videography, art and illustration), digital marketing and engagement (web design, interactive design and development, copywriting, social media, content management) and marketing and media engagement (paid and earned media, licensing, filming) teams. The role partners and works alongside the Associate Vice Chancellor for University Communications, the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Storytelling and Content Strategy and the Executive Director of Advancement Communications. The role will prioritize the gathering and analysis of data to inform work across a wide variety of areas and will partner with university leadership to elevate the UIC brand regionally, nationally and globally. This is a rare opportunity for a marketing leader to join a top university at a time when momentum is growing, and there is wide buy-in and support for communications and marketing.
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor of Strategic Marketing and Communications, the Associate Vice Chancellor for Marketing serves as a pivotal example of lifting the team’s mission to inform, inspire and engage and as a reflection of the team of teams culture as connected to the team’s and university’s values. The AVC, Marketing is the day-to-day leader of university-wide marketing goals and priorities. The role leads project-based cross-disciplinary teams and maintains relationships with internal constituents, The leader will use data-informed practices to create informed and integrated marketing approaches, plans and strategies while elevating the UIC brand regionally, nationally and globally in support of institutional priorities. The AVC, Marketing will provide influence, training and lead collaboration across a diverse set of colleges, units and departments, many of which have their own communicators/marketers. In maintaining relationships with varied constituents, the role establishes strategically-driven marketing, public relations and communications for the university/health system. In addition, the role leads project-based cross-disciplinary teams and develops and oversees multiple teams working to enhance and solidify the identity of the university. This professional has an astute knowledge and application of marketing best practices along with innovative solutions to compliment strategic thinking and counsel, sound judgement and decision-making along with the ability to address multiple strategic demands in a complex environment.
Located in one of the world’s greatest cities, the University of Illinois Chicago is Chicago’s largest university and only public research institution. Its 16 academic colleges serve nearly 34,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional students. UIC is recognized as one of the most ethnically rich and culturally diverse campuses in the nation, a leader in providing access to underrepresented students. UIC serves over 34,000 students, comprising one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation and is designated as a Minority Serving Institution (MSI), an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
Around 80% of undergraduates receive financial assistance. With one of the largest colleges of medicine in the nation, and colleges of dentistry, pharmacy, public health, nursing, social work, and applied health sciences, UIC is the state’s principal educator of health professionals and a major healthcare provider to underserved communities. UIC students become professionals in fields ranging from business and engineering to education, liberal arts and sciences, urban planning, law and social work, as well as architecture, design and the arts. UIC is an integral part of the educational, technological, and cultural fabric of Chicago.
UIC is among the nation’s preeminent urban public research universities, a Carnegie RU/VH research institution, and the largest university in Chicago. Recent “Best Colleges” rankings published by U.S. News & World Report, found UIC climbed up in its rankings among top public schools in the nation and among all national universities. The UIC campus is located just west of Chicago’s loop, integrated into historic residential neighborhoods and the urban environment.
- Building a best-in-class institutional marketing team that prioritizes data-informed decision making.
- Developing a data-based approach to strategic marketing and recommending campaigns that connect institutional priorities with audiences to spur a response and elicit audience journey mapping.
- Overseeing marketing research team to facilitate the gathering, analysis, and deployment of marketing data to support decision making.
- Pursuing continuous analysis of our competitive environment and consumer trends and industry best practices.
- Developing and deploying a comprehensive integrated marketing and brand strategy with consistent and aligned campaigns in an evolving environment.
- Developing and deploying a comprehensive integrated digital marketing engagement strategy.
- Developing and implementing a national marketing strategy around a unified UIC brand that elevates UIC pride to multiple audiences through advertising buys, campaigns, and other collateral tied to relevant events and milestones.
- Collaborating closely with other areas in marketing and communications and other units to ensure consistent and coordinated messaging and brand alignment across all audiences.
- Supporting the office’s structural and cultural shift from supporting individual schools and units to developing and implementing university-level campaigns.
- Ensuring brand consistency across all communications from the university and its individual units by building on existing brand assets and guidelines.
- Directing schools and units in partnering with external vendors who can develop UIC-branded assets and collateral; serving as office lead for managing external marketing vendor relationships.
- Developing and managing a centralized institutional licensing and filming strategy and team.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
- A bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business administration, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least ten years of increasing responsibility and leadership in strategic planning, marketing strategy, brand and digital management.
- Experience in leadership roles in marketing, brand and digital management, advertising, or related fields, including experience leading enterprise-wide brand and digital strategies.
- Demonstrated experience directing, managing, and supervising marketing or creative teams.
- Experience managing budgets.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Proven effectiveness and expertise in marketing: An inclusive and creative style with ability to articulate a vision effectively to all constituents.
- Strategic ability and judgment: Ability to coordinate and optimize high-level strategic marketing; the skill and finesse to drive meaningful change; proven experience as a problem solver.
- Team of teams management strength: Ability to provide clear direction and ability to lead members of a talented team, demonstrated strength to mentor and motivate a diverse and devoted team; capability to adapt to shifting priorities.
- A strong collaborative nature: Strong negotiating ability and skills representing and advancing the priorities and interests of multiple constituencies.
- Analytical excellence: Experience employing research and metrics to inform strategies and evaluate results; ability to produce progressive, transparent plans and budgets that link plans and budgets that link expenditures to outcomes.
- Commitment to the mission and values of UIC, including a strong record of advancing diversity, equity and inclusion. Ability to set a strategic direction and effectively plan unit objectives in alignment with institutional priorities and mission.
- Demonstrated ability to lead change and drive brand strategy and alignment. Excellent project management, analytic, communication, and diplomacy skills.
- Strong foundational marketing, digital and brand management experience and in-depth knowledge and application of digital, brand management, strategic marketing, advertising and promotion.
- Superior interpersonal skills and excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Set goals and use data analytics to measure effectiveness of tactics and progress towards strategic goals.
- Proven strategic, analytical, creative and planning skills.
- Broad understanding of the organizational structure, operations, budgets and finances.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment while maintaining accuracy of work.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of an integrated, cross-functional team.
- Superior organizational skills; must be able to prioritize and meet deadlines effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, including establishing cooperative working relationships with supervisors, colleagues and campus partners. Must be able to work well under pressure.
Benefits of Working at UIC
- Competitive salary.
- Tuition assistance.
- Educational opportunities.
- Generous vacation, holiday, and other leave benefits.
- Health care options and wellness programs.
For fullest consideration, applicants should complete the UIC employment application, submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references by March 13, 2023. Applicants are welcome to submit a linked portfolio if desired.
The University of Illinois Chicago is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, and religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=1411899
University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption in accordance with applicable University processes.
Join the Conversation